L'Occitane vs Pre de Provence shaving soap experiences?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
chris1978

L'Occitane vs Pre de Provence shaving soap experiences?

Post by chris1978 »

I would like to know if you had any experiences with amazing french L'Occitane Cade and Pre de Provence shaving soap? Because of this, I love Shea Butter. I was planning to buy both of them as soon I can. I was looking forward it. How do you compare to these french shaving soaps? Do you really use very often? I had been watching a lot on youtube about the great soaps that going on my minds lately. By the way what the Pre de Provence shaving soap smell like?

My question is: Does it has any cushions during shaving? the slickess? lathering performance on both brand?

Chris A
Brutus

Re: L'Occitane vs Pre de Provence shaving soap experiences?

Post by Brutus »

Not much help from me, I'm afraid, although I have both in my cabinet.

I don't use them that often, as I like D.R. Harris, Tabac, Martin de Candre, Musgo Real, Palmolive and Valobra better.

They both perform o.k., but nothing that I would describe as "outstanding".
I use Pre de Provence even less than L'Occitane, but sometimes I like to use L'Occitane Cade because of the scent.
There is nothing really wrong with the products, it's just that in the morning when I reach for the shaving soap there are other soaps that I rather use.

Would I buy them again?
Some L'Occitane soap or cream maybe; Pre de Provence probably not.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
brothers

Post by brothers »

I used the Cade soap regularly for a while. If I recall accurately, I think Cade soap might have had less slickness than I would have preferred. The lather and scent were good.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
SteveinMN

Post by SteveinMN »

I'm using a cake of Pre de Provence right now. I've managed to dial in a lather that works very well for me. I'm not good at describing scents I'm unfamiliar with; let's just say it's very lightly floral without obvious tones of rose/vetiver/cooking herbs with which I'm familiar. I've never tried L'Occitane to be able to compare it.

PdP is not at all a bad shaving soap. There are products which beat it in one category or another: latherability, cushion, scent (such a subjective thing), ... But it's a good combination of all of them for me and one of the few soaps I can buy hands-on here in town that's not 1) a cream; or 2) more marketing than performance.

One thing I've noticed -- in my wet-shaving sojourn as well as some other areas of life -- is that I'm less and less willing to spend limited time/money/energy chasing after a grail product that might be better than what I'm using. After the initial wet-shaving ADs all of us have gone through, I find I'm back to the second razor I ever bought and my third brush and a soap I tried not too far into my exploration. The stuff I bought after that -- goodies for someone else to try. The PdP works well for me, but, as always, horses for courses!
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

SteveinMN wrote:
One thing I've noticed -- in my wet-shaving sojourn as well as some other areas of life -- is that I'm less and less willing to spend limited time/money/energy chasing after a grail product that might be better than what I'm using.
Same here, and I suspect this applies to many other "old hands" too.

In the beginning, I experimented and followed many newly announced "discoveries" that were reported, but over time I settled down with a range of true and tested products and it takes now quite a bit of endorsement (preferably from members whose posts I have learned to value) to get me to try something new.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

I have both. Cade and PdP No. 63. In a nutshell, I prefer Cade and find it to be a very good soap. While both soaps shave well for me I find Cade has better post shave skin feel. I don't know why but it does. I prefer the newer version of Cade to the old.
Raze R. Blade

Post by Raze R. Blade »

I have used L'Occitane Cade and found it to work very well. Smells great and is excellent all around. It lasts a long time, too.