Palmolive shaving soap & cream has been discontinued.

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Palmolive shaving soap & cream has been discontinued.

Post by brothers »

As of now it is confirmed by Phil at Bullgoose Shaving (Facebook) that he'll no longer be able to stock Palmolive shaving soap and cream. To paraphrase my favorite singer of all time, Jerry Lee Lewis, "if you ain't got some, get some!"
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
pausted

Re: Palmolive shaving soap & cream has been discontinued.

Post by pausted »

I have one lonesome stick left in my cabinet. Guess I'll hold on to it even though I'm mostly using creams these days.
Best regards,

Basil
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

brothers wrote:As of now it is confirmed by Phil at Bullgoose Shaving (Facebook) that he'll no longer be able to stock Palmolive shaving soap and cream. To paraphrase my favorite singer of all time, Jerry Lee Lewis, "if you ain't got some, get some!"
This has been discussed elsewhere before and is not entirely correct.

I can say this because I sent an e-mail to Palmolive when the story first surfaced and got a prompt reply assuring me that Palmolive has no intentions to discontinue shaving sticks or creams in Germany, one of the European production sites for sticks.

It appears that Palmolive sticks will be withdrawn from the U.K. market though, and this is where the original story surfaced.

Hence the obvious solution for anyone interested in importing would be to procure sticks from a German source.
Creams are even easier to find as Palmolive creams in menthol or regular (which BTW differs slightly from the regular Northern European cream) are widely available Mediterranean countries.

If everything else fails and members should find it hard to stock up on sticks, drop me a PM and I can always pick up a reasonable amount on one of my trips to Germany.
They are selling for less than $1 over there.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

I like all the Palmolive products I have tried,but the Italian Rinfrescante cream is my favorite,especially since Proraso original was watered down a few years ago..
brothers

Post by brothers »

Maybe Phil can shed some light on any differences (if any) he might be aware of, based on what he reported yesterday and the statement that was received from Palmolive several months ago.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

It would be a real pity to see the Palmolive stuff be discontinued entirely because it's so good. Stick or cream, it's awesome.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Every trip I make to the UK, I come back with a dozen or so sticks for sharing and at least a couple of tubes of cream. I presently have one unopened, and another at half-life. Going back again this fall and will be re-stocking again. My middle son loves this stuff -- he got his first brush at Christmas from his wife (a badger from Fendrihan) and while he's still not a fan of DE razors (he now owns a Tech which I was saving for him) he does love the soap and the brush combo.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
SteveinMN

Post by SteveinMN »

I'm glad to hear it's still around some places. I ended up buying a tube of Palmolive at a drugstore in port in Naples, Italy, one day -- somehow I forgot to pack shaving soap for our trip :roll: Anyway, I loved it -- especially at the price of €1.50 -- and was sorry to see the tube empty. Buying more from the U.S. is prohibitive once shipping is involved so I never got another tube. But this does mean maybe I can hit up friends and relatives traveling to the Mediterranean....
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

SteveinMN wrote:I'm glad to hear it's still around some places. I ended up buying a tube of Palmolive at a drugstore in port in Naples, Italy, one day -- somehow I forgot to pack shaving soap for our trip :roll: Anyway, I loved it -- especially at the price of €1.50 -- and was sorry to see the tube empty. Buying more from the U.S. is prohibitive once shipping is involved so I never got another tube. But this does mean maybe I can hit up friends and relatives traveling to the Mediterranean....

Ah, Italian Palmolive - another good, inexpensive shaving cream.

The picture with Palmolive shaving creams is somewhat confusing.
In Italy I found light green (menthol) and red (regular) packaged Palmlive cream, in Germany the regular Palmolive is in a dark green packaging, and over New Year in Marrakesh I found Indian made Palmolive in a white tube with some green, while in India a lime-green packaging indicates the lemon scent version.

To round things up, in Romania and Egypt exist apparently some blue packaged varieties of Palmolive shaving creams, which I haven't personally tried yet though.

Not that I consider myself an expert on Palmolive, I just travel a lot due to my work and sometimes check what shaving products are available overseas.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

In Romania, the blue tube of Palmolive is exactly the same menthol cream as the one from Italy. The blue tube in Egypt is also Palmolive Menthol cream, but with a totally different scent. The menthol effect and skincare are the same as the other Palmolive Menthol creams.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I wonder if different cultures make different color associations.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Not that I consider myself an expert on Palmolive,
for curiosity, are the palmolive's basically the same no matter where you buy them, or are they vastly different? thanks

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Clive I've used a few made in different Countries and didn't notice a difference.
Regards,
Squire
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Romania makes a Palmolive cream ???
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

malocchio wrote:Romania makes a Palmolive cream ???
I think they import it.
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

JayDee wrote:
malocchio wrote:Romania makes a Palmolive cream ???
I think they import it.
+1 on imports.

The Romanian plant - together with Italian, UK and Turkish plants - was reportedly slated for closure in the 2006 Colgate-Palmolive restructuring plan.

Says a worker in a far-away Palmolive plant: "Hand me the box with the blue tubes, today is Romania day." :P

Bertrand Russell
SteveinMN

Post by SteveinMN »

Squire wrote:Clive I've used a few made in different Countries and didn't notice a difference.
Hmm. There's an Indian grocery not too far from here. Might have to check that out for a change of pace....
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I would give them a try, little risk because the cost isn't much. I didn't set out to compare the Palmolive soaps made in different countries it just happened by picking up a few here and there over time.
Regards,
Squire
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Squire wrote:I didn't set out to compare the Palmolive soaps made in different countries it just happened by picking up a few here and there over time.
Same here...
...I arrive in some foreign city and with some spare time on my hands I like to check whether they have any notable shaving products on their supermarket or drugstore shelves.

In some countries, where traditional shaving is still common, I made some interesting discoveries - stainless Astra blades in the Czech Republic, elsewhere in Europe and beyond Palmolive, Tabac, some low-cost Italian shaving soaps and more.

And then I found a supermarket near home that occasionally stocks Feather blades at $13/100 blades...

B

Bertrand Russell
soweczka

Post by soweczka »

Palmolive soap are one of the worst i've ever used