TOBS Peppermint Shaving Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

TOBS Peppermint Shaving Cream

Post by brothers »

This morning I opened up a fresh tub of Taylor's Peppermint Shaving Cream that I received as a gift several months ago. I've been looking forward to using it. The fragrance in the tub doesn't reflect the overall goodness of the shave-ready lather it makes. It contains peppermint oil, but no menthol. Still, it cools nicely, which I like a lot. Fortunately, bearing the brand Taylor's seems to guarantee a great shaving cream that doesn't cost all that much. I'm looking forward to a goodly number of shaves over the next few days, courtesy of this cream.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Nitrox
AC/DC

Re: TOBS Peppermint Shaving Cream

Post by Nitrox »

Gary,
I still say that Taylor's creams (and soaps for that matter), offer excellent value for the money and perform as well as any other.
Plus, look at all the variety of scents one can get.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
brothers

Post by brothers »

Bruno, I agree. They have an amazing variety of really nice fragrances.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Peppermint sounds like a wonderful Christmas Tide cream to use.

Let us know your thoughts as you use it, Gary.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's becoming familiar with day to day usage. This isn't a big revelation, of course. That's really the point, isn't it. :) In the past I've used several of the TOBS creams, and with some of them, I've experienced a bit of over-familiarity, beginning stages of complete burnout. Not the cream, just the fragrance. Some of them grow more comfortable and pleasant, but on the other end of the spectrum, they can grow to be very boring and even repulsive. I'm still mid-stream with Peppermint, of course. It probably takes almost a whole tub or tube to reach the crossroads, scentwise.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I was able to identify my favorite brush to be used with shaving creams, it's the old Erskine that belonged to my dad. I replaced the knot with a big super silvertip from TGN. It just seems right at home with any cream. Here's what it looked like right after the restoration. Nowadays, the big knot is all bloomed out, because I use it every day when there's a shaving cream involved. The TOBS Peppermint performs like a champion, thanks in the most part to this familiar old brush.

Gary