Floris soaps performance and scents

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Re: Floris soaps performance and scents

Post by mantic »

Sometimes it's good to have a shaving blog. :roll: I got a press sample of "The Gentleman Floris" shaving soap a week or so ago, so I could try it and post my review at launch. The full text (and pics) will be on Sharpologist tomorrow but in summary:

This is a glycerin-based, triple-milled shaving soap. Ingredients: Sodilum palmate, water, sodium palm kernelate, gylcerin, fragrance, citric acid, sodium chloride, sodium citrate, tetrasodium glutamate diacetate, shea butter, limonene, linalool, geraniol, citronellol, courmarin, oakmoss extract, benzyl benzoate, titanium dioxoide.

The No. 89 scent is described as top notes of spicy nutmeg, middle notes of floral, and base notes of sandalwood, cedarwood, and vetiver. My poorly-educated nose definitely picks up the floral notes and I get a "powdery" vibe from the scent of both the shave puck and lather.

This soap is not cheap--Floris lists it at 35 British Pounds, meaning it will probably run about US $50-55.

I was worried about performance at first: my first few uses resulted in a very soft, "foamy" lather that started to disappear on my face with alarming speed. However the performance was quite good...excellent in fact...even with the disappearing lather. My last couple of shaves have had a more stable lather: perhaps I've used the soap enough to break through the "skin" of the puck, a characteristic I've seen more of recently in some shaving soaps.

--Mark
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ok, so they're reformulating. The Floris reply didn't mention closing out any lines of shaving soap.
Regards,
Squire
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I'm disappointed that they didn't go back to tallow for the soaps.
And the price scares off quite a few of us. I've only got the 89 soap but with this new formulation, I don't think I'll be picking any more up any time soon.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, the price is off putting. When I pay that much more it's reasonable to expect a noticeable (however slight) step up in performance, but these high end soaps/creams really don't deliver. Better scents in the creams, yes, but not really better performance.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

At the price, I'd insist on all positives and no negatives regarding a voluminous thick and rich tight textured lather that explodes and doesn't dissipate, noticeably slick and protective, with an intoxicating scent. Something that never disappoints and that i look forward to every opportunity to use it. I didn't get that impression from Mark's comments.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Here is the reply I received this morning, following my earlier inquiry to Floris regarding the ingredients of the newly reformulated Floris soaps. I did not take the time to compare it to the list posted a few days ago by Mark. Might be the same. I just wanted to make sure I post Floris' response. I commend Floris for interacting with me as a potential customer who has submitted a sincere product inquiry.

Dear Gary,

I have just been sent over the ingredients list for the new Shaving Soap formula, please see the list below:

INGREDIENTS

SODIUM PALMATE
AQUA (WATER)
SODIUM PALM KERNELATE
GLYCERIN
PARFUM (FRAGRANCE)
CITRIC ACID
SODIUM CHLORIDE
SODIUM CITRATE
TETRASODIUM GLUTAMATE DIACETATE
BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII (SHEA) BUTTER
LIMONENE
LINALOOL
GERANIOL
CITRONELLOL
COUMARIN
CITRAL
EVERNIA PRUNASTRI (OAKMOSS) EXTRACT
BENZYL BENZOATE
CI 77891 (TITANIUM DIOXIDE)

I hope this has been of help to you, and I again apologise for the delayed response to your enquiry. If there is anything else I can help with, please do not hesitate to contact me.

With kindest regards,

Customer Services

J. Floris Limited,
89 Jermyn Street,
London. UK.
SW1Y 6JH
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ltjaw

Post by ltjaw »

I am close to finishing a puck of 89 that came in the tan packaging from about 3 years ago. I plan on giving the new soap a try. Has anyone else tried the latest iteration?
Andrew