Vegan shaving soap I like

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
BiffBuff

Vegan shaving soap I like

Post by BiffBuff »

I've finally tried a vegan soap I really liked -- WSP Rustic shaving soap. I have the Mahogany and the scent is outstanding.

The lather is rich and thick with excellent glide. Very easy to load onto the brush. It's quite a soft soap; not clay consistency like Cella -- more like Martin de Candre, and lathers just as well as MdC at a fraction of the price.

I think I still prefer tallow soaps on the whole, but this is a wonderful surprise -- I look forward to trying their other scents.
The only thing that some might not enjoy about this soap is that the fragrance is quite strong!
Something I'm very partial to.
disengage
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Vegan shaving soap I like

Post by Squire »

I can see the appeal for a vegan product yet I wonder if such things are really somehow more socially responsible. I have friends who believe so and I certainly won't argue, yet in the overall scheme of things if it takes more energy to produce such products then perhaps the use of tallow (a cheaper renewable source) might not actually be the more acceptable route.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Worth knowing, but what is WSP? (Is that the actual brand or do the letters stand for words?)

In these parts, WSP stands for Washington State Patrol.

Thanks -

- Murray
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

WSP is Wet Shaving Products. It's the name of a vendor. Pretty generous samples too!
disengage
pausted

Post by pausted »

I have their Lavender and their Barbershop soaps. I agree that they perform very well and the scents are nice. You can find them on Amazon. WSP markets through Amazon. I don't have strong feelings one way or the other about vegan vs. tallow. As long as the product performs well, I like either one.
Best regards,

Basil
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I know lots of folks claim that tallow is the only way to go, but I don't find that to be so. Maybe when vegan soaps first hit the shelves they were terrible, maybe. But when that was being written I was using Provence Sante and liked it quite a bit. So I never experienced the terrible vegan soaps. Too, I used soaps that got good reviews.

Today I quite like vegan soaps and to me it has absolutely no stigma. In fact some of the best soaps are vegan. I think it's the only place in my life where I can claim to like vegan. It's actually a shame, because I can picture in my minds eye all of that tallow in a honkin' huge pile somewhere, stinking, maggoty, and rotting away unused.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square