Coates Sandalwood

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Coates Sandalwood

Post by brothers »

We're in a sort of twilight zone right now, while the gentleman in Texas is still selling Coates in tubes (even though we all knew it had already disappeared), while existing supplies last. I now have more than enough in 4 fragrances to last me a very long time. As the title of this thread implies, my current tube is Sandalwood. I'm very fond of the scent, the lather, and the performance, particularly the slickness and protection. I make sure to use enough product for a thick rich lather. I'm not saying it's the best of the best ever, and I'm not saying anybody else likes it or should go get some. I'm just saying it's amazing to me that I can still consider Coates an everyday staple shaving cream, in spite of the fact that it's going to run out and it'll never come back again.
Last edited by brothers on Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gene

Re: Coates Sandalwood

Post by Gene »

Yeah, Gary...I bought a few of the sandalwood tubes myself. I travel with them - they are the perfect size for that.I have a birthday coming up - may have to use some of the cash that is sure to come my way to get a few more.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I have couple of tubs of this from back in the day and it is sublime. I use it sparingly.

Chris
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

I also have more then a few backup tubes of Coate's - it's still one of the top performing creams in my den, on par with the best of the best.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Coates shaving creams were a high water mark and the Sandalwood scent was memorable.
Regards,
Squire
mike

Post by mike »

I too bought a lifetime supply. Now that i have retired, i only shave 3 times a week. I now have 2 lifetimes of coates left!
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Me too Mike but that won't stop me from buying more.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

The little tube of Sandalwood is down to only enough cream for one more shave. i'm deciding which Coates fragrance to use next.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Lime, Gary. Summer.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Lime yes, my thoughts exactly, just got back from a trip to the campus and it's 97 degrees out there.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I can do Lime!
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I think the coates rose is very nice, but the lime, scent-wise, is hard to take Vs. trumpers. I admire the way you guys luv it so much :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, it is different. I find the best limes are Castle Forbes cream and Mike's Natural soap. However, it's a great shaving cream.
Last edited by brothers on Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Clive I think Coates in their day just managed to be on pitch with their scents, moreso than the other producers of the time.
Regards,
Squire
ScottC

Post by ScottC »

I had a few tubes but the customers in my shop loved it so much that I am now down to 1 tube.
Now I just use it for personal use very sparingly. It became my favorite.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Scott, welcome aboard. Where's your shop?
Regards,
Squire
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I'm hoarding my last tube of lavender. Wish it was rose which was my favorite scent. Right now I am being blown away by TOBS's Jermyn Street cream. It is almost a soft soap. I have been overloading my brushes and using it up too fast.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pete, Scott, no need to do without your favorite Coates. SMF member "btafan" found and bought the last known large stock of genuine new old stock Coates shaving cream in all 6 fragrances. Contact him now by PM. His name is Andy.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Wish it was rose which was my favorite scent
the rose is beyond good......dont worry though, i will buy your share of it hahahaha.

clive

p.s. thanks for the jermyn street mention....will have to try it.

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

In response to the sudden departure of the Smith lime soap, this morning's shave was provided by a new tube of Coates Sandalwood. Great slickness and cushion. Following the single lather pass as I splash hot water on my face where the residual cream lies, the touchup pass was also very slick and effective. It'll be a pleasure to continue to use this little tube of Sandalwood until it's all gone in a few weeks.
Gary