Mitchell's Wool Fat

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Papa Roy

Mitchell's Wool Fat

Post by Papa Roy »

Used today for first time. Really do like it. Will need a little practice lathering
Papa Roy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Mitchell's Wool Fat

Post by Squire »

Not everybody gets MWF at first but it's worth the effort.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Papa Roy wrote:Used today for first time. Really do like it. Will need a little practice lathering
if you need any help,look up jww; he is the resident mwf expert!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The trick with MWF is frankly, that there really is no trick. I tried all sorts of different techniques with lather, etc., but in the end, treat it pretty much the same as any other soap. I am a face latherer, so am used to working with the brush for more than a minute to make sure I am producing sufficient suds for multiple passes. And, I am also not averse to dipping back into the puck to add a bit of soap to the bristles for my final pass if I find the lather is fading, which can sometimes happen depending on whether you are using a scuttle, hard vs soft water, etc.

As a matter of fact, I lathered up my Wee Scot this morning with MWF ..... wonderful match, these two --- especially for a 2-pass shave.

You are right to think that practice over time will be rewarding --- I am still practicing my technique after 40+ years of wet-shaving.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Still practicing myself Wendell, perhaps someday I can say I got it right.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I'm a face latherer and I've found the most effective way to lather MWF is to rub the wetted puck directly on my wet face rather than trying to load the brush directly from the puck.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote:I'm a face latherer and I've found the most effective way to lather MWF is to rub the wetted puck directly on my wet face rather than trying to load the brush directly from the puck.
I have asked several times for Mitchell's to do a stick --- it would be nothing short of dead brilliant - full stop.
Wendell

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Still practicing myself Wendell, perhaps someday I can say I got it right.
Maybe I have just focused so much in my early days with the fat that I can't separate what it is I am doing that makes is a never miss for me.
Wendell

StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

It's the only product I can use that doesn't leave my face drier than the desert, in the summer, after a particularly nasty heatwave. No need for balm or anything afterwards, everything else just kills my skin, if it wasn't for the fat I wouldn't be wetshaving again.
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

StGeorge wrote:It's the only product I can use that doesn't leave my face drier than the desert, in the summer, after a particularly nasty heatwave. No need for balm or anything afterwards, everything else just kills my skin, if it wasn't for the fat I wouldn't be wetshaving again.
I'm sure Desperate Dan would agree.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

MWF seems to have an enormous base of outspoken advocates. I hope they keep on going forever.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

I'm still waiting for my ceramic dish to levitate...
giggity
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Patience Steve, just when you least expect . . .
Regards,
Squire
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

brothers wrote:MWF seems to have an enormous base of outspoken advocates. I hope they keep on going forever.
I don't think there is any danger of that not happening Gary, they supply to Kent and it's a rite of passage for wetshavers. I've just recommended it to a friend, just waiting to see how he gets on with it. There are also a huge amount of sheep in the UK so supply and demand shouldn't be an issue :-)
Tony

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sheep squeezins?
Regards,
Squire
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

Squire wrote:Sheep squeezins?

I'm trying to give it up....
Tony

John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Was about to give away my half-used puck of MWF, then broke it out yesterday to use. And used it again today. Forgot how much I loved the scent and enjoyed the shave. Perhaps I will have to replace it when I eventually wear it down to nothing.
John
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Used MWF a couple days in a row now, and noticed something I had either not noticed before or had forgotten. It causes a slight burning sensation on my face. I know it isn't the shave because it happens as soon as I apply the lather. Not bad; just noticeable. Any ideas why the burn?
John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Could be the lanolin. Nothing scientific about my observation, rather some members in the past have mentioned a sensitivity to lanolin that caused a slight skin reaction.
Regards,
Squire
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Interesting thought, Squire! I do use several other soaps that list lanolin as an ingredient without the sensation, but I suppose the percentage of lanolin could make the difference. Like I said earlier, it is not a "pain" so it is not going to keep me from using MWF!
John