Mitchell's Wool Fat

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Flash G

Re: Mitchell's Wool Fat

Post by Flash G »

Most likely there's something in the fragrance thats the cause of the irritation.

Does the Kent version have a different scent than MWF?
Eric
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I think they're the same Eric, at least I don't recall any difference.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Once in a while I get some of that mild pH burn when I first use a new-to-me shaving soap. I just forget about it and it seldom if ever occurs the second time. Only once in my experience did I get a serious burn that couldn't be ignored --- Crabtree and Evelyn Sweet Almond Oil shaving cream in the jar --- not so sweet!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

StGeorge wrote:... There are also a huge amount of sheep in the UK so supply and demand shouldn't be an issue :-)
Uhuh -- saw more sheep during our trip to North Yorkshire and The Lake District a month ago ..... Every time we go, it seems that the sheep population has grown .... a very good thing for this MWF advocate. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

I have some MWF that dried out.
I have it in a bowl with a little water for now.
Any other way to revive it?

Thanks,
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

My experience is a few years old, but I'm quite sure it's still valid: the Kent version and the Mitchell's version are exactly the same soap in every way; only the package is different.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Shave4Fun wrote:I have some MWF that dried out.

Thanks,
No, I think that's all. Definitely don't heat it beyond the temperature of hot tap water.
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

notthesharpest wrote:
Shave4Fun wrote:I have some MWF that dried out.

Thanks,
No, I think that's all. Definitely don't heat it beyond the temperature of hot tap water.
Thanks.
Roger

Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

As noted yesterday, I had some MWF remnants that had dried out. After soaking in water (just enough to cover the soap) in the mug overnight, it swelled and smoothed out enough to reform and use for a good lather and shave. We'll see what it looks like after sitting for a few days.
Roger

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

It will do that, crack and whatnot, I used it anyway and determined not to let one sit too long in the future.
Regards,
Squire
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Squire wrote:It will do that, crack and whatnot, I used it anyway and determined not to let one sit too long in the future.
My cake had actually broken up into 3-4 pieces, so I had to "put it back together". And I'm glad it still lathers well.
Roger

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

MWF is possibly the most robust of shaving soaps I have ever owned. Yes, it will crack, and when it gets down to the dredges can go "bitty". But it will go on and on for a good long time. I have sometimes gone a good few months (believe it or not) without using it once, and find it's as good as it was the last day I used it. Best stuff period .... full stop .... bar none.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I admire a man sure of his convictions.
Regards,
Squire
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

The more you get into it the wool fat seems a rather good thing to try. The lathering issues I think are more related to time of loading and type of brush used.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh, by all means try it, good stuff.
Regards,
Squire
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

nicodemus38 wrote:The more you get into it the wool fat seems a rather good thing to try. The lathering issues I think are more related to time of loading and type of brush used.
Time of loading I agree with. But the brush type I don't know. I have found success in making great lather using best badger, silvertip badger as well as boar brushes. What I do find is that sometimes if I have a lather problem I see it almost right away and I fix it by adding a bit more water. I all I love "The Fat" so much that I even use Mitchell's Wool Fat bath soap.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
pausted

Post by pausted »

You know, I'm not really a big fan of the fat. While I agree it gives a great shave, has nice after shave feel and provides fine glide and protection, it simply requires too much work. I can successfully lather it with any number of my brushes but it takes longer and requires more effort than any other soap or cream in my den. I will continue to use it because I have an almost new puck in the ceramic bowl and a backup puck in the cabinet. At the rate I use it, it will last a long, long time! :) Does the fat provide a particularly better shave than other quality soaps and creams? Not for me.
Best regards,

Basil
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Not necessarily better Basil but certainly as good as. I think the fact it remains a truly traditional product is it's most attractive feature.
Regards,
Squire
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

one must not just judge the lanolin as the offender. compare every ingredient in these lanolin containing soaps and compare the others.
pausted

Post by pausted »

Squire, I agree with what you say. It does provide a shave "as good as" other products and it certainly is traditional. I guess I just don't want to work as hard as it takes to get there. Other traditional products such as Tabac soap, T&H and Trumpers creams, and Proraso soaps and creams are better for me. I realize that Proraso has been reformulated to drop the parabens but I still consider it "traditional".
Best regards,

Basil