Heads Up! TOBS Cedarwood shaving cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
EL Alamein

Re: Heads Up! TOBS Cedarwood shaving cream

Post by EL Alamein » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:59 pm

Go Taylor's!

You all know I love their old formula English Lavender shaving soap so I'm glad their still at it with their creams.

I too hope they bring back their old formula soaps. They'd corner the market.

Chris

diggity

Post by diggity » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:45 pm

I am late to the game on this one too, but this peaked my interest. The Charles Tyrwhitt's Lemon and Cedar comparison caught my eye. One of the best scented shave creams I have ever come across.
Nathan

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:19 pm

Nathan, having used it more, it's somewhere between the Tyrwhitt and Ralph Lauren's Safari cologne and shave soap.

It's a good scent, but definitely in the men's EDT direction rather than the sawmill/lumber direction.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau

diggity

Post by diggity » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:35 pm

Ah, ok - that still sounds nice. And a very interesting combo. Thanks, Tim. It really is too bad that TH stopped making that cream.
Nathan

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:21 am

I used this cream again today. It had been about a year since my last use, and that was far too long.

The scent is heavy on Iso E Super, but it's used well. It can be scratchy or peppery in fragrances (like in one of my favorites, Terre d'Hermes), but here it's softened with some other wood notes and a clean musk. It's like polished wood rather than raw lumber. There are some citrus topnotes, too, and what seems like a rosewood note in the middle, although there's no mention of rosewood in Taylor's official ad copy. The scent is not big or shouty but more in keeping with the traditional, gentlemanly fragrances Taylor has always done.

The performance of Taylor creams is always a pleasant surprise when I've not used them in a while. Tremendous cushion, a fine sheen and slickness to the lather, and a wide sweet spot for adding water.

I am digging this one.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau