soaps with no container

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
kennethj

soaps with no container

Post by kennethj »

How do you guys store and use soaps with no container? I recently ordered a few. I could just hold it in my hand and load the brush, and then store them in ziplock containers. Or I could load them from the ziplock container. I like using a nice bowl, it adds to the experience.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: soaps with no container

Post by Squire »

Sure, bowls are nice. After awhile though what to do with them. I recycled a few to hold paper clips and what not on my desk until my desk top got cluttered then gave them to my employees who eventually took them home.

For years now I've only bought the refills which I use in ziplock plastic bowls. The few remaining wooden ones I've kept now hold odds and ends on my fly tying desk.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I use the Ziploc XS size lidded bowls out of the supermarket also. They stack great, but are butt ugly. But they do work, and if dropped don't present a hazard in the bathroom. Glass is a no-no in ours; bare feet and glass shards don't mix. If the puck (or stick) doesn't fit 100% I shred the soap, press it in and use a bit of water on top to get the shreds to slide together into a smaller mass and eventually weld themselves together. Pretty near 1-2 tablespoons of water does it. It doesn't take much. Let it sit for a day or so and the job is done.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I use Ziplock or Tupperware plastic bowls for storage and lathering.
Bryan
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

soap with no container is not such a bad thing. there are a lot of crappy gift sets that are selling crappy soap dishes that make a glad plastic dish look quality.
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

1 cup size Anchor Hocking glass bowls with airtight lids make the perfect containers for soap pucks, ive used them for a lot of different soaps and they stack really well also. They can be had at Wal mart or Target on the cheap
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I, too, like the Anchor Hocking or Pyrex 1-cup bowls with lids. These also don't easily break (at least not on a wood or linoleum floor).

If it is a soft or semi-hard soap, it can be mashed into the bowl easily. If it is a hard soap, I grate it up and mash it into the bowl.

- Murray
smoothshaver

Post by smoothshaver »

Another user of Ziploc XS containers. Sometimes a soap puck fits better upside down, so it lays flat.
-Ed
brothers

Post by brothers »

Both suggestions regarding container types work for me.
Last edited by brothers on Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Upside (flat side) down works for me.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I like containers -- and have bought a few wooden bowls over the years.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

those are refill pucks. and pose the problem I have seen some soaps that never have a factory container....

a lot of the popular recommendations change price fast by region. the anchor ware bowls, cheap for you but for me its 20$ a 4 pack.
Raze R. Blade

Post by Raze R. Blade »

I have always used soaps with no container, and just put them in a shaving mug. If I get one or two extra soap pucks, they are stored in a cabinet under the bathroom sink.
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

I use mostly creams but do have a few pucks of soap on hand. Say MWF, Tabac, Blenheim Bouqet. What I do is simply buy the refill puck and use an old cream tub to store the soap. Works great and fits well in my shave cabinet.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good thought. When I had a lot of tubs on hand I too repurposed them for shaving soaps. Seeking simplicity in my advanced age I just keep a couple things out on the counter now and I can grab the plastic soap tub without first putting on glasses. That or I'm getting lazy.
Regards,
Squire
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I haven't been able to find this size any more at the local market. Every size and shape but.
smoothshaver wrote:Another user of Ziploc XS containers. Sometimes a soap puck fits better upside down, so it lays flat.
Ron
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Squire wrote:Good thought. When I had a lot of tubs on hand I too repurposed them for shaving soaps. Seeking simplicity in my advanced age I just keep a couple things out on the counter now and I can grab the plastic soap tub without first putting on glasses. That or I'm getting lazy.
Not lazy Squire, but maybe a bit more blind than what you thought! You must do what I constantly harp to my wife about. She needs reading glasses but never is willing to put them on a chain and wear them around her neck so she has them when she needs them. Perhaps you need me to harp on you too! :D
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

kennethj,

I will have a few like maybe 3 shave cream tubs from TOBS that you could use for your soaps. I do the same thing as I said in my previous post. Just let know if you would like me to send them to you. Will even pay the postage if you live in the Continental US. Let me know.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I use the Grundtal stainless steel containers from Ikea. Although perhaps not perfectly airtight, the lids do fit tightly and seem to preserve the soaps well for me, and it is possible to get nice custom labels that fit right in the lids. Soaps that fit in the usual wooden bowls will fit nicely in the Grundtal tins. They are just $7.99 for a 3-pack at Ikea or can be bought from other retailers online.
_______
John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

ThePossum wrote: . . . . Perhaps you need me to harp on you too!
Go ahead, I'm to hard of hearing to notice.
Regards,
Squire