LEA classic cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
nicodemus38

LEA classic cream

Post by nicodemus38 »

I ordered a tube of it. wondering on how much menthol is actually in it. and on the scent. Strength of it.
malocchio

Re: LEA classic cream

Post by malocchio »

Not much menthol for me,I really don't get a cooling sensation at all...Scent is sandalwood ,with a little spice thrown in.Great lather.
kennethj

Post by kennethj »

Any experiences with LEA soap ?
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

no experience. I ordered it as it was a toss between lea classic cream, and pre de provence. the LEA was a good deal lower cost, and looked good.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

finally came in the mail. surprising. only 2 days throught the mail.
it is scented and I do see the sandalwood in it. But nothing like what female products would be like.
understated maybe?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

How does it shave?
Regards,
Squire
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

I traded my Classic soap puck.After several techniques to achieve a good lather failed I gave up and traded it.Many love the puck,but for me LEA and BEA sticks outperformed it by a wide margin.
BPman

Post by BPman »

malocchio wrote:...but for me LEA and BEA sticks outperformed it by a wide margin.

I have a "new improved" Lea shave stick I bought from Shaveabuck before they shut down and it is spectacular!! I regret not getting the new Bea stick as well as I can't find it anywhere now. Malocchio, any clues?
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

the cream in a tube is weird. I have to really tighten down the cap or it will do its best to come out. I can take the cap off and it starts coming out on its own.
The smell is interesting. Sandalwood, I mean actual sandalwood and not cheap whore house perfume, and the oak moss is smoky/acidic to me. Then the menthol isn't so much as a felt on the skin effect but is all in the nose and lungs. Like an improved vaporub type of menthol effect.
I have hard water so I had to use about twice the size of the threaded neck on the tube. It was a decent lather. Lathered the same as the razorock classic cream I used after it. Very thin though but ive been using spray can crap so its a learning experience.
The shave itself was amazing. I had more hair getting cut then with goo in a can. the stubble was half as much. Then I shaved a second pass just for fun.

Then I was really nutty and used the razorock classic cream to see how it smelled and lathered. That was a wonderful pass. Very nice products. The resulting shave was very close. I didn't have to shave at all the next day but I did for fun anyway.

The sandal wood scent is wonderful in my omega 49. I caught myself sniffing the brush this morning. THe menthol is still there in the brush and hits me like vaporub. And when it mixes with the razorock classic, its really pleasant.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

"The shave was amazing" says it all, rock on.
Regards,
Squire
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

BPman wrote:
malocchio wrote:...but for me LEA and BEA sticks outperformed it by a wide margin.

I have a "new improved" Lea shave stick I bought from Shaveabuck before they shut down and it is spectacular!! I regret not getting the new Bea stick as well as I can't find it anywhere now. Malocchio, any clues?
NO !...Just did search,and not even giftsandcare has it.I suspect the new formula was exactly the same as the latest LEA formula,so they discontinued it.With the latest BEA I could not tell any difference in scent or lather,great stuff,but LEA is still to be found many places.I am going to ask Juan at giftsandcare about it,and also see where the new LEA razor blades are made.
Last edited by malocchio on Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

a very good shave. Just enjoy it. A lot of the experience does come from using a brush.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I can't remember how I ended up finding it, but I located a website somewhere in the world, probably Europe that carries Bea in stock at the moment for less than 2 Euros. No biggie, I'm not ordering it. They say it smells a bit like Arko, plus maybe a bit of a lavender thrown in. Just a bit of trivia. I hope Lea shave soap stick continues to be available from the usual sources, since they seem to be the identical product, except maybe for fragrance.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

There's a Lea Menthol cream which is really cold. I never tried the Classic version.
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Yes ...the LEA mentholated cream has a nice amount of chill factor,and great lather.Speaking of great lather ,the LEA Professional cream is also spectacular.
nav

Post by nav »

kennethj wrote:Any experiences with LEA soap ?
I ordered 2 pucks of the LEA Classic soap a couple of months ago and first few lathers were a disaster! Very thin and a bit foamy. Shave was below average! The scent was amazing and subtle menthol was a delight on the final cold water rinse. These two factors kept me going and after a few uses, I realised it's one of those soaps that doesn't produce thick proto-lather but actually fairly thin foam which needs to be worked on the face until it thickens.

Once I dialled it in, I fell in love with it! I shot up to being tied at #1 with MWF (something which hasn't happened since I first used MWF in 2009!).

The lather is thick, slick and softens the tough beard extremely well. Many soaps out there produce fantastic, thick, yoghurt like lather but fail to really soften the stubble. The LEA Classic soap does it extremely well.

The post shave feel rivals MWF and this is the only soap out of the ~50 I've used over the last 8 years to do this! The soap is so packed with skin caring goodies, it's really no surprise how well it conditions the skin and leaves it supple and looking very healthy (to the point where others have commented!)

My advice with this soap is to leave the brush (I only use boar) a bit wet (not dripping, just shake it well but don't squeeze the brush) and load heavily. It'll produce a lot of foam, it's all good, add it all to your brush and face lather and just watch it thicken up and glisten in the light! Add a bit of water as needed but be careful with how much you add.

For me, the soap excels in each and every aspect of shaving soap and I love it so much, I placed an order for 13 more pucks to round out my supply to 15 (this is more than my MWF stash, which I would never have thought would ever happen!).
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's always good to hear about someone finding "the one", and being able to get backups! Good for you nav.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good report nav.
Regards,
Squire
nav

Post by nav »

brothers wrote:It's always good to hear about someone finding "the one", and being able to get backups! Good for you nav.
LEA has a history of tinkering with their formulas so I didn't want to take the chance. If there is a reformulation announced, I'll probably pick up a few more but 15 is good for now.

I have two "the one" soaps now...MWF and LEA. The more I use it, the more I feel LEA slightly edges out MWF as the skin protection of LEA seems to be that little bit better during the shave.
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Came back from Barcelona yesterday morning and managed to pick up LEA shaving soap in the wooden container and two shaving sticks over there (all available in the nationwide Corte Ingles department store chain, the cream can also be found in supermarkets).

Tried the soap twice; pleasant, old-fashioned scent, not overly powerful - apparently with sandalwood undertones - and good enough performance.
I tried it once in Barcelona and once after I arrived back home, had no problems with the lather and felt no need to reach for demineralized/destilled water - as some recommendations go - but with my Mühle Silvertip Fibre I find it easy to whip up a decent lather with all sorts of "difficult" soaps - including Williams.
I liked the warm scent enough to buy a bottle of LEA aftershave too.

Had no problems with the LEA shaving stick either, good lather and good shave, fairly neutral "soapy" scent - nothing remarkable about this scent really and [to answer a question] not enough - if any - menthol to be picked up by my olfactory sense.

Sorry that I can't comment on the cream; didn't buy any as I tend to prefer soaps and sticks.

So far I like LEA, whether I like LEA products well enough to buy them again remains to be seen.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell