Which Rose and Lime Creams should I get . . .

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
ThePossum

Which Rose and Lime Creams should I get . . .

Post by ThePossum »

Well, it is time again to restock my creams. Have let them go to the point where all my pots of TOBS and T&H are pretty much shot. Have decided to get my TOBS from Connaught as they are the least expensive and their shipping is low even if it takes a couple days longer to get. Have purchased other stuff from them and have been well satisfied. The T&H will either come from Smallflower aka Merz Apothecary in Chicago or right from T&H itself. Prices are the same, and also free shipping from both.

With that out of the way I need help from you cream lovers as to what Rose and West Indies Lime creams you like. I have been using Trumper's Rose and like fairly well but looking for something that others seem to think is better. The same goes for West Indies Lime. Only one I have tried is from C&E and unlike the great Sweet Almond Oil cream that used to make and I have a lot of, their West Indies Lime plain sucks.

So any suggestions would be appreciated. Also any remarks about your suggestion would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
pausted

Re: Which Rose and Lime Creams should I get . . .

Post by pausted »

Brice, I have Trumpers Rose and like it a lot. The only other English rose I have used is Coates. The scent was not as good as Trumpers but, of course, it was the old stock tubes that are still available and the scent has faded a lot I believe. The performance of the two creams is about the same.

I also have T&H West Indian Limes. I've only used it a few times but so far I'm not very impressed. The scent is not as strong as I had hoped so I'll need to use it some more. Right now, I wouldn't buy it again. On the other hand, T&H Almond is my favorite cream. Wonderful scent and teriffic performance.
Best regards,

Basil
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I, on the other hand, like T&H lime shaving cream and appreciate it's more subtle approach. I like it enough to recommend it as well.
Regards,
Squire
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Cream wise, IMO you can't get any better then Castle Forbes Lime, both in terms of performance and scent.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Thank you gentlemen. While not too many replies I got 2 from guys whom I trust. So I was right about the Trumper's Rose and kinda thought that I had seen you rave over the T&H West Indies Lime awhile back Squire.

Now have more questions about other creams after doing some further research.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
brothers

Post by brothers »

TheMonk wrote:Cream wise, IMO you can't get any better then Castle Forbes Lime, both in terms of performance and scent.
Absolutely agree. The best lime cream for me.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

If a strong lime presence is one of the considerations then Castle Forbes has it in abundance. More so than the others presently being made. Whether the additional CF cost is worth it is up to you, frankly I'd rather rely on a lime aftershave/cologne than a heavier scent in the the cream/soap.
Regards,
Squire
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

To catch up on the rose and lime shave creams. Re-ordered the Trumper's Rose and took Squire's advice and bought the T&H West Indies Lime. Finally arrived the other day and I used it for my shave yesterday. Got to say it was just like my other T&H creams, great!!! Wife really liked the scent of the cream and now on the lookout for some decent lime edt.

Thanks all of you for your help with my decision on creams.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
brothers

Post by brothers »

Well done! One can't go wrong with T&H.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

It pairs well with T&H Lime which is the same scent. Glad the wife likes it.
Regards,
Squire
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Squire,
So I should go for the T&H Lime EDT? Kinda leaning that way but I wanted some "expert" confirmation in case there was something out there better. Thanks.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

In scientific terms X is an unknown substance and spurt is an uncontrolled release of a small amount of water.

So an expert is an obscure drip under pressure.

For shaving I use Truefitt West Indian Lime aftershave.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Wife really liked the scent of the cream
13 thumbs up.....doesnt get better than that. Use in good health

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

I love all things that are lime. If my storehouses weren't filled to overflowing with an embarrassing hoard of shaving soaps and creams that most likely will outlive all of my descendents for at least two generations, I would already have impulsively placed an order today for some of this wonderful sounding stuff, cream and aftershave. But wait! I just remembered there are two local brick and mortar shops that sell T&H, so just in case I am asked in a couple of months from now, what I might want to receive for Christmas and birthday gifts, and maybe this will be something to suggest. Either that, or a new trailer hitch, or maybe a kayak. We'll see.
Gary

Barry

Post by Barry »

Well this post inspired me to order T&H Limes cream.

I've been using soaps for a long time but I really like this. I might switch back to shaving cream. I'm a big fan of Trumper so I might order the violet cream.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I've gone through periods where I would use creams or soaps exclusively trying to determine a preference when I finally realized it really didn't matter because I can have both. So I'm consistently inconsistent.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have always been partial to Trumpers Limes cream - pre and post reformulations. C&E West Limes soap is actually quite good as well.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?