Current T.O.B.S. soap ---

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Shave4Fun

Current T.O.B.S. soap ---

Post by Shave4Fun »

If this is somewhere else, please redirect me. But I am wondering if the current T.O.B.S. soaps are good and tallow based. (I may be confused over issues with Geo. F. Trumper)

Thanks,
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
EL Alamein

Re: Current T.O.B.S. soap ---

Post by EL Alamein »

Roger, they are not tallow based anymore but they are good. I am basing this on my experience with TOBS Limes shaving soap which is the latest offering from TOBS. Even though it's not a tallow soap it's very good.

Hope that helps.

Chris
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

EL Alamein wrote:Roger, they are not tallow based anymore but they are good. I am basing this on my experience with TOBS Limes shaving soap which is the latest offering from TOBS. Even though it's not a tallow soap it's very good.

Hope that helps.

Chris
Chris,

Thank you for the up-to-date info and reply.

Kind regards,
Roger

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Roger,

It's my pleasure.

Even though these veggie based soaps are excellent I think in their best incarnation they will never be as good as the potassium stearate and tallow based soaps of old. There is something that is just much better about them - more cushion and more slickness at the same time. I can feel it in my old formula Taylor's Lavender shaving soap every time I use it.

Chris
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I love the scent of Taylor lavender soap. I did have some of the old stearate soap and found it absolutely marvelous. I will try this current iteration at some point; why the heck not? I have been swimming in the pool of artisan soaps (my own and others) but lately miss the elemental pleasure of a hard-milled Harris Almond soap or a wooden bowl with a tablet of Taylor. Thanks for posting this thread. It has inspired me to seek out the current stuff. I imagine I'll be placing an order somewhere shortly.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

TRBeck wrote:I love the scent of Taylor lavender soap. I did have some of the old stearate soap and found it absolutely marvelous. I will try this current iteration at some point; why the heck not? I have been swimming in the pool of artisan soaps (my own and others) but lately miss the elemental pleasure of a hard-milled Harris Almond soap or a wooden bowl with a tablet of Taylor. Thanks for posting this thread. It has inspired me to seek out the current stuff. I imagine I'll be placing an order somewhere shortly.
Hi Tim,

I'm glad you have been "inspired". I, too, still like the D.R. Harris soaps and have yet to be disappointed. At one point I had the box for the TOBS Sandalwood Herbal I am using now. Whatever its chemistry, it's really good soap!

Ciao,
Roger

John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Truly enjoy the scent of my TOBS Sandalwood soap. It does tend to dry out on me during the shave, probably my fault for not using enough water. And it does leave my face feeling drier than some other soaps do following the shave. Would like to find a less drying soap with the same scent.
John