Shave cream recommendations

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Clarky75

Shave cream recommendations

Post by Clarky75 »

Hi All,

After many years away from wet shaving I have returned. I have fairly sensitive skin, and looking for a new shave cream, not sure if much has changed in the past 5 or so years with new formulas etc.

I used to use TOBS Almond, Trumpers Coconut, Rose, etc.

If anyone could make some recommendations I would appreciate it. I sold all my old wet shaving gear, so gives me a chance to restock

Thanks

Clarky
brothers

Re: Shave cream recommendations

Post by brothers »

To answer your question, I recommend Castle Forbes, Nancy Boy, and Taylors shaving creams. Proraso is apparently still the top dog, of course reformulated, and now available in more than just the old green and red versions.

Welcome back. It's a new world. It would be accurate to say that almost everything has been reformulated in the past 5 years, and there are now scores of new artisan soapmakers who have easily mastered the art of making and selling really good shaving soaps. The high end soaps such as Penhaligons and Floris for example, reformulated themselves almost out of business, but Pens has re-re-formulated and is quite a good lathering soap, without the tallow. Floris may be on the comeback, but you sure won't find anybody posting about it. Trumpers has re-re-re-reforumulated until everybody's just sick and tired of hearing about it anymore. It's a far cry from the old days of 3 Ts and Harris being top dogs. They're now hardly discussed. On the various shaving forums, when someone asks for guys to post their top 5 shaving soaps, you won't recognize any of the favorites, but you should know that they all make some really good and popular soaps. You'll know what I mean when you start surfing the internet vendors. Old user-grade razors are becoming less popular, due to the burgeoning numbers of relatively new razor-making enterprises. Mostly stainless steel, but not all. They aren't cheap either. Badger and boar brushes are holding their own, while the new wave of synthetic brush fibers are relatively inexpensive and are very popular, especially with the new and younger guys. Simpsons and Plisson are still in business while they're enthusiastically selling synthetics because that's where the action (and the money) is.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm actually still using Taylor and Trumper creams but mine are old stock stuff. If I were ordering today Mitchell's Wool Fat shave soap would top the list. For shaving cream Real Shaving Co., or if I wanted to pole vault over the top rail, some cream selections from Truefitt & Hill.

There are lots of enthusiastic comments on the shave boards regarding artisan shave soaps, which comments vary in their usefulness, but shaving creams seem to still be the province of major traditional companies. Frankly, if I were stocking creams from scratch I would call Phil at Bullgoose, tell him what scents I might want to try and see what he has in stock.
Regards,
Squire
Clarky75

Post by Clarky75 »

I know last time I was on the forum there was much talk about Trumpers and TOBS being re formulated and not being of the same quality.

I did try the MWF I actually found it quite good, but I always preferred the scented creams over the soaps.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Clarky75 wrote:I know last time I was on the forum there was much talk about Trumpers and TOBS being re formulated and not being of the same quality.

I did try the MWF I actually found it quite good, but I always preferred the scented creams over the soaps.
I've been using creams by both companies for years and I can't say that I've noticed any degregadation in quality. Soaps, on the other hand, are a different matter, especially Trumpers. As far as I'm concerned, TOBS has the top performing creams and their prices are better.
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I agree with Brian about that. Creams are their own thing and technically or financially beyond the reach of most artisan makers, I've yet to find one from the majors however reformulated that I couldn't make work. That and the scents are nicer.
Regards,
Squire
pausted

Post by pausted »

I have and regularly use the new versions of the 3T's and find them pretty equal in terms of performance and scent. All work very well for me. TOBS is your best bet for price. A couple of others worth mentioning are The Body Shop Maca Root cream available from their site. They have frequent sales and free shipping sometimes. Its also available from Amazon. The cream has light scent and IMO very good performance. The other is the new AOS cream. Now its made in the US since AOS was acquired by P&G. I use the Ocean Kelp version and find it to be excellent. Haven't tried the other scents but will get around to it eventually.

Hope that adds to your list of creams to try. Welcome back!
Best regards,

Basil
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

+1 or The Body Shop Maca Root shaving cream. It performs as well as any cream on the market and is good value. I also like The Real Shaving Company shaving cream, but I would rank it a titch below Body Shop and TOBS in overal performance; it is very well priced, however.
Bryan
Clarky75

Post by Clarky75 »

Looks like its TOBS then, its easy to find here in Australia and the prices are very reasonable too, so I will look to that.

I did like the almond and rose from TOBS, might have to try the coconut, I didn't see that last time.
pausted

Post by pausted »

I can highly recommend the coconut. Great scent and performance.
Best regards,

Basil
LostInCincy

Post by LostInCincy »

I nearly started a new thread to ask the same question as the original poster here. I've been out of the scene for a while (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55247) and I'm looking forward to trying some new stuff and getting up to speed. I've enjoyed all of the traditional English creams as well as newer products like The Body Shop, T&H Ultimate Comfort, Nancy Boy, etc.

Other than what's listed here, what new creams fall into the "older" categories and what new creams are a bit more "new" in style. I realize this artificial distinction won't hold for every product, but it's a point of reference for me. I recently tried and liked Cella Shave cream/soap and I can't believe Coate's is still available. So that's been a nice surprise, but what else? There must be some new or newly popular creams in all these styles. I wish I used soaps more day to day or I'd have plenty of options, it seems.

Thanks!
Dan
Dan
pausted

Post by pausted »

Dan, rather new on the scene is St. James of London creams. They are a Creighton product, and priced about like Trumpers. I use the lavender and geranium scent and enjoy it very much. Performance is very good. I also like the new AOS Ocean Kelp cream. AOS creams are now US made and quite good IMO. Not sure I can catagorize these old vs. new.
Best regards,

Basil
LostInCincy

Post by LostInCincy »

Basil, I'm so glad to hear you say that because I saw St. James on some sites but didn't know if their quality rose to the level that their name might imply. I took a whiff of AOS Ocean Kelp the other day in the mall based on your previous recommendation and I liked it enough that I'm willing to check it out. Unbeknownst to me, I purchased one of their Lavendar creams made in the USA last year, but I haven't used it yet and am only familiar with the older version made in England. I'm willing to give it a fair shake and not dismiss it just because they moved production.
Dan
pausted

Post by pausted »

AOS was purchased by P&G awhile back and they pretty much changed everything. I've used both the old English cream and the new US cream and find them to be comparable. I don't use their soaps but most of the guys say that the old tallow soaps made by Volabra were great. Not so much praise for the new ones.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Dan, Castle Forbes is still top shelf even though they conceded to the politically correct crowd and did remove parabens.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
LostInCincy

Post by LostInCincy »

A friend of mine brought back a tub of CF Lime from Scotland a few years ago. I really liked it, though not so much more than other creams to justify the price. I do need to try their Lavender, though, so thanks for reminding me!
Dan
ask4Edge

Post by ask4Edge »

brothers wrote:...even though they conceded to the politically correct crowd and did remove parabens.
<chuckle> I share the same sentiment.

American Cancer Society: "...so far, studies have not shown any direct link between parabens and any health problems, including breast cancer."
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Palmolive classic cream (green tube) is well worth trying. It's unbelievably inexpensive and produces really quality lather -- and the scent is vintage .... love it.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rasnezli

Post by Rasnezli »

brothers wrote:To answer your question, I recommend Castle Forbes, Nancy Boy, and Taylors shaving creams. Proraso is apparently still the top dog, of course reformulated, and now available in more than just the old green and red versions.

Welcome back. It's a new world. It would be accurate to say that almost everything has been reformulated in the past 5 years, and there are now scores of new artisan soapmakers who have easily mastered the art of making and selling really good shaving soaps. The high end soaps such as Penhaligons and Floris for example, reformulated themselves almost out of business, but Pens has re-re-formulated and is quite a good lathering soap, without the tallow. Floris paris car service may be on the comeback, but you sure won't find anybody posting about it. Trumpers has re-re-re-reforumulated until everybody's just sick and tired of hearing about it anymore. It's a far cry from the old days of 3 Ts and Harris being top dogs. They're now hardly discussed. On the various shaving forums, when someone asks for guys to post their top 5 shaving soaps, you won't recognize any of the favorites, but you should know that they all make some really good and popular soaps. You'll know what I mean when you start surfing the internet vendors. Old user-grade razors are becoming less popular, due to the burgeoning numbers of relatively new razor-making enterprises. Mostly stainless steel, but not all. They aren't cheap either. Badger and boar brushes are holding their own, while the new wave of synthetic brush fibers are relatively inexpensive and are very popular, especially with the new and younger guys. Simpsons and Plisson are still in business while they're enthusiastically selling synthetics because that's where the action (and the money) is.
I will test the product that you recommended, thanks!