Grön Lycka shaving soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
JayDee

Grön Lycka shaving soap

Post by JayDee »

From Sweden I'd like to present a lovely artisan soap named Grön Lycka which I received on Friday by mail. Here's my review of it:

Ease of lathering: 9/10--Whips up to a nice, slick lather very fast and easily. Kind of thirsty, however.

Longevity of lather: 9/10--Stays stable throughout a shave so no problem. Very slick.

Gneral skincare: 9/10--VERY moisturizing and protective. It's made with mostly natural ingredients.

Scent: Beautiful - lemony, with a lavender note, at least to my shnozz!

Price: 8/10--I paid in Swedish kronor, but it seems to be reasonably-priced.

Would I buy again: 10/10--Absolutely. This soap is terrific!

Sweden used to produce many excellent "old-school" shaving soaps (mostly sticks) many years ago but she halted production quite a while ago. Now, a young woman over there has put her country back in the wetshaving business with an excellent soap!
Attachments
11374385_893773140660139_1801386507_n.jpg
11374385_893773140660139_1801386507_n.jpg (32.8 KiB) Viewed 3605 times
Last edited by JayDee on Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Grön Lycka shaving soap

Post by Squire »

Well good for her, wish her great success.
Regards,
Squire
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

A quick and dirty translation, I lived in Norway years ago, but this is Swedish (and I'm very rusty):

Grön Lycka = Green Luck

On the label, top to bottom:

Handmade ecological skincare

Whipped shave [cream? Google Translate suggests 'Choice']

Aloe Vera and Kaolin Clay.

Regards

Kaptain "Will translate for shaving supplies" Zero
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

I understand Swedish if it's spoken slowly and I can read it, as well as Danish and Norwegian. My spoken ability with these languages, however is poor.
Laage

Post by Laage »

kaptain_zero wrote:A quick and dirty translation, I lived in Norway years ago, but this is Swedish (and I'm very rusty):

Grön Lycka = Green Luck

On the label, top to bottom:

Handmade ecological skincare

Whipped shave [cream? Google Translate suggests 'Choice']

Aloe Vera and Kaolin Clay.

Regards

Kaptain "Will translate for shaving supplies" Zero
Not meant to disparage Kaptain Zero's translation, which is fine, but living in Sweden lets me polish it a bit (I hope).

Green Happiness ("lycka" kan be luck or fortune too, but here it would be happiness)
Hand made organic skin care (I think organic is used more than ecological in day to day English)
Whipped shaving soap (not sure why Google Translate would translate "tvål" to choice, but it has it's quirks)
Laage
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

I'll admit it - now I'm curious to try this soap! Is there a website, or just FB page?
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
Laage

Post by Laage »

TheMonk wrote:I'll admit it - now I'm curious to try this soap! Is there a website, or just FB page?
Here's the site (in English): http://gronlycka.se/?lang=en.
However, at a glance the site only seems to show prices in Swedish kroner.
Laage
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jeff, how would you describe the texture and hardness of this soap? How would you compare it to Castle Forbes or Cella? Like the others, I'm curious!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

Gary, it's more like a hard cream. :)
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Laage wrote:
TheMonk wrote:I'll admit it - now I'm curious to try this soap! Is there a website, or just FB page?
Here's the site (in English): http://gronlycka.se/?lang=en.
However, at a glance the site only seems to show prices in Swedish kroner.
Thanks!
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
brothers

Post by brothers »

I give up trying to sign in and satisfy the registration requirements for the payment portal "Payson". Guess I'll have to pass on this one. Too bad. :wink:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

This is a positive update. I have corresponded directly with Carina, the maker of this soap and many other wonderful looking soap and other products. She has updated her website, and in response to our discussions this morning, she has also added Paypal as a payment option for those of us who are not residents of the EU. It turned out that Payson is limited to EU transactions, and it was not accepting my payment. Now I have successfully placed my order for this shaving cream. Carina has updated the label she uses on the jar but it is the same product. I am grateful to Jeff for bringing this product to our attention, and to Carina for being so responsive to my inquiries.

Edit: Carina has issued a coupon code for a 10% discount --- winter2015
Gary

JayDee

Post by JayDee »

Get set to enjoy a great soap, Gary!