Blenheim Bouquet tallow soap on the chopping block

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Blenheim Bouquet tallow soap on the chopping block

Post by brothers »

It's time for me to use up another puck of soap. I have a well-used puck (about 1/2 remaining) of the old formula Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet that started on its final journey this morning. I plan to load the brush on the soap for about 15 seconds every day. It goes without saying the lather is a thing of beauty. I'm going to enjoy this one! :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Blenheim Bouquet tallow soap on the chopping block

Post by drmoss_ca »

I have their BB and EF soaps from some years ago. Would you agree that they are remarkable for their scents rather than any soapy/shaving/lathery qualities? I find them pretty awful except for their marvellous scents.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I have the tallow EF I got a few years back and it's amazing in terms of scent and performance.
On the other hand, my BB is not tallow based and it is downright awful in terms of performance. My Sartorial (not tallow) is a pretty decent performer and smells pretty nice.
The Bayolea performs fairly decent as well, although not spectacularly.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
brothers

Post by brothers »

Chris, my soap was sold to me by an SMF member, and he told me it is tallow. I have no doubt about that. I tried one of the BB pucks which were sold as the first reformulated replacement of the tallow recipe shaving soaps, and it was absolutely horrible, except in fragrance. (Maybe yours is from that batch?) I understand the current version of BB as well as Bayolea is as good in performance as the Sartorial soap. Sartorial non-tallow shaving soap is exemplary in performance. I have not personally used current BB, but I am eager to do so.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

My Penhaligon's shave soaps are all vintage tallow versions (Lords, BB, EF), and all of them are wonderful in both scent and lathering qualities.
_______
John
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Gary, thanks for the information on the BB. I might just get me a current one and use up the bad one I have as a bath soap.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Mine are now about seven years old. I believe they have tallow in the ingredients. I still don't care for them for shaving, but they do smell wonderful!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

It'll be a couple of weeks or so before this well used puck of traditional classic soap gives up the last shave. It's one of those rare soaps that makes me feel that I've always used it, and never will use any other. It just works and smells so naturally appropriate according to my perceptions and expectations. I've been following it up with the matching EdT after every shave.
Gary