A New Low!

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
BeatlesFan

A New Low!

Post by BeatlesFan »

OK, so, in the annals of our little SMF club, I'm willing to bet that nobody, I mean NOBODY, has had THIS happen to them!

The other night I thought I heard a bit of a bump from my bathroom linen closet. Nothing too major, so I just rolled over and went back to sleep. A day or two later, I reached in there for my Valobra shave stick, which had been sitting in a coffee cup awaiting its next usage.

Fortunately, I glanced in the mug before lathering, only to find (A) teeth marks on the soap, and (B) mouse droppings liberally festooned on and around the soap!

OK, I guess I've occasionally heard of people having mice and rats eat their tallow candles. But I've NEVER heard of a "Wee, sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie" actually having the chutzpah to find its way into my cabinet and EAT MY SHAVE SOAP.

I didn't even know we had mice about the place, so I guess I'll have to buy some traps. I CERTAINLY never imagined the damn things would be in there chowing down on my Valobra! Meantime, because I'm health-cautious, I decided to throw out the Valobra, even though it'd probably have been fine if I'd just washed it off.

OK, guys, betcha that one's a first for you, right!
ShadowsDad

Re: A New Low!

Post by ShadowsDad »

I've never had them eat my shave soap but we have had them eat soap. I wonder if they fart bubbles afterwards? But this time every year we get invaded by mice. They want the warmth, and we'd prefer they'd just die.

If they had access to any fabrics be sure to check them. They like to tear them apart to construct their little mouse homes and outhouses.

I find that peanut butter makes for fantastic mouse bait. Be sure the trap is set to a very light setting otherwise you just wind up feeding them and then find notes for more PB, and to include jelly and bread, next to the traps.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

At least the little guy has good taste.
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I'm with Brian - peanut butter in the traps is fantastic. Caught one in the garage just last week with it.

Chris
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My mousetraps are named Velma and Lucy. They work cheap and are on call 24/7.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Apparently the Valobra is an excellent laxative with immediate and prolific results. :shock:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

The little devils hit my Tabac last night! I really gotta get ahead of these varmints. Maybe I should hire Bill Murray's character from Caddyshack!
brothers

Post by brothers »

Any luck with traps?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have small boxes of Decon Mouse Proof in crannies (behind refrigerators) in several places around the house. Never see a mouse now. Only pest problem we have had is moths. Ruined two or three expensive wool garments and a blanket. Now I have loaded closets with cubes of cedar; purchased sealed garment bags; and put small cloth sacks of cedar shavings inside of sweaters, suits, etc. Once had a mouse problem in an old house and Decon was the only thing that got rid of it.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

Soap is well loved by rat and mouse.
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

I have an alternate extermination method to share.
1. Take an old empty paint can and a tongue depressor or shim or similar.
2. Fill can half full of water.
3. Put peanut butter on the stick and put the stick across the can with p-butter down.
4. The critters eat the peanut butter, get heavy, fall into the water and drown. =D>

It works wonderfully on bees/wasps/hornets in summertime, and worth a try on mice/rats although I've never used it that way.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Best laid plans Slack, them rodents be tricky.
Regards,
Squire
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

maybe its social commentary on the brand of soap you use?
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

A kitty or two willl help as well. And the kitties are fun to watch and play with and can make great lap and bed buddies on cold winter nites. Our 4 kitties keep us rodent free and provide many hours of amusement.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Here's to the kitties! (I have a warm spot for cats, myself.)

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My neighbor, who works for the local shelter, came by this morning to identify the sex of our new kittens. Three boys and two girls. Now working on names.
Regards,
Squire