Questions about TOBS Natural shaving cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Questions about TOBS Natural shaving cream

Post by brothers »

I found myself interested in this product. Just curious. Has anyone here had a chance to use this shaving cream regularly over a period of several shaves?
1. Is it truly fragrance free?
2. How does it compare to the other TOBS shaving creams with fragrances?
3. Slick?
4. Thick with cushion?
5. Protective?
6. Is the ingredient list different from the other TOBS creams?
7. Is the lather abundant and long lasting?
8. How would you describe the post-shave properties?
9. Anything else you can think of?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
slackskin

Re: Questions about TOBS Natural shaving cream

Post by slackskin »

Yes, Gary, I bought a tub of this when it first came out. My wife of almost 48 years is highly sensitive to fragrances, and (since fragrance doesn't really matter to me) I do not want to cause her discomfort. In my view, performance is everything and fragrance is immaterial.

I would rate TOBS Natural very highly. It is truly fragrance free. Lather is abundant, slick and cushioning -- just as with other TOBS products. At this time, the tub is about 3/4 empty and I look forward to getting more. Note that TOBS has another product named Organic, which is also said to be fragrance free. I have read some negative feedback on Organic, stating that it is not as good as Natural, but I have not tried Organic so cannot rate it.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Kudos for being sensitive to the needs of others. I recall using Harris Sandalwood aftershave around 6 am on a Friday morning and at noon picked up my companion for an out of town weekend. 90 minutes into the drive her eyes were watering. She didn't complain, had liked the scent on me, just sorta got to her in the enclosed environment in the car.

So without urging of course I stopped at the first place where I could wash my face with soap. Just because we no longer notice it doesn't mean those around us can't.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I think I've read here somewhere that a few guys have success adding their choice of EdT or AS to a fragrance-free lather just before the shave. Also, it has been my experience that the shaving lather's fragrance either disappears when the shave ends and the face is rinsed, or within minutes afterward. As Squire said above, the fragrance we apply after the shave is the one that lasts, and is experienced by others around us. The bottom line here seems to be that the fragrance of the shaving lather (cream or soap) is for our own private fleeting enjoyment during the course of the shave, not intended to be an after-shave longer lasting fragrance; more of a sales/marketing device that encourages users to buy several soaps or creams based on different fragrances from the same or different manufacturers.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

@ Squire - thanks for your kind remarks.

@ Brothers - what you say makes sense in a general way. I my particular case, however, things are different. When I shave and use no aftershave, it still cause her discomfort. I have even tried showering after shaving, with the same result. I guess my situation is just strange. Fortunately, I am perfectly happy with unscented. I wish Harris, Trumper and Mickey Lee had unscented choices, but alas they do not.
brothers

Post by brothers »

The fact that TOBS Natural works so well for you and helps you to meet your personal objective of absolutely no fragrance is a huge positive factor that should be considered by anyone who truly wants a fragrance-free product, not just a milder scented version. You have made an excellent point.
Gary