The new fellow on the block!

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
JayDee

The new fellow on the block!

Post by JayDee »

I've only tried two artisan soaps from the UK - one of them being a good one from Nanny's Silly Soaps. There's a young gentleman in London, England who calls himself the Obsessive Soap Perfectionist and he came out with several fantastically-scented soaps. I bought two of them which arrived yesterday. This review is for the Grapefruit Menthol version.

Ease of lathering: 10/10--Excellent. Whips up to rich, creamy lather fast.

Longevity of lather: 10/10--A bit thirsty but no stability problems at all.

General skincare: 8/10--Very good. Very, very cooling as well as good moisturizing.

Scent: 9/10--More citrusy than grapefruit with strong menthol notes. Very pleasant.

Price: 6/10--With the exchange rate it becomes a bit expensive, but what can you do?

Would I buy again: 10/10--In spite of the highish price, yes!
Attachments
12109033_1674320229450022_3717535625013431175_n-2.jpg
12109033_1674320229450022_3717535625013431175_n-2.jpg (38.94 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
brothers

Re: The new fellow on the block!

Post by brothers »

I believe his name is James, and he makes some excellent products. Surprising to find out that his shaving creams are highly recommended on various shaving forums, in addition to his soaps. Unusual to see artisans making a splash with shaving creams. If I were to get another shaving cream, it'll be his lemon scented cream. I agree with your opinions of this particular shaving soap.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

no rose!!!!!!!!!! so lame :D :D
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:37 am no rose!!!!!!!!!! so lame :D :D
Clive, you probably should email him. Who knows! He's a member at the British forum The Shaving Room.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks...id rather wait for him to find smf and go from there :D :D

Im joking of course about it being lame that there isnt a rose, however, it is disappointing that a soap maker of some(?) regard doesnt work with a few of the klassiks, rose being one of them. My list is:
Rose
Sandalwood
Lime
Almond
lavender
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

It appears that the current massive wave of designer artisan fragrances are on the other end of the spectrum. These days we see names given to the manufactured fragrances that reflect moods, emotions, mythical beings, etc. Abstract two or three word descriptions that seem to conjure up dreams or memories, or imaginary magic moments. Not my preference. I'm with you Clive with the actual single word descriptive names of the dominant scents.
Gary