shave performance

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
nicodemus38

shave performance

Post by nicodemus38 »

Performance during the Shave: 9/10 -- Slick, thick and cushiony. One way to test this is after completing a pass, wet your face slightly and see how slick it is from the soap residue. You should be able to make another pass without re-lathering your face.

that was posted in a review of wet shave obsession soap.

if I take that at face value and as truth, then razorock classic cream, leas classic cream, are completely inferior products. I cant get that performance from either of them. I have only gotten that performance a few times from Williams.
nicodemus38

Re: shave performance

Post by nicodemus38 »

the only time I got that was with barbasol with aloe.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I am trying to use an ARKO shave stick. Not happy with it so I rub as much as I can on my face to start. Then I dip my stiff Simpson (old) Duke II in hottest water, shake and rub up a thick lather. Yesterday I could do 2 passes without reloading after the first two. Not to many whiskers at that point.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Don't believe everything you read man, there's no guarantee the reviewer actually even tested the stuff.
Regards,
Squire
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

I only listed that definition as well, a question or thought on shave quality standards. until today I haven't actually gotten that to happen unless I used barbasol.

Today I got my brush soaking in hot water for say 8 minutes because I lost track of time. at the same time I had a tablespoon of that water on my Williams puck.
I like to make big billows of lather in my Williams bowl, it takes hours for it to collapse and dry out. But that hot water made a good puddle of Williams sludge in the bottom.
SO I loaded up with razorock classic, and topped it up with that Williams sludge for extra moisture, and it was weird lathering it up. kinda like chunky soft cheese. But it was perfect lather. Like I smeared on a slightly chunky face cream. I guess like some do with cremo.

Anyway I got that flare out, and realized its a blade or lather issue, the razor itself shaved great. kind of felt like my weishi did. I know sacrilege. But after the second pass, I ran some water on my face and it was slick enough that I shaved half my face before I felt any irritation.

id a third clean up pass. And the thing is, it was a really great shave.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Which is really what counts.
Regards,
Squire
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

yes a good shave counts, but one shouldn't have to combine soaps to make one work.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I don't think its necessary but also don't think the shave police will come knocking if I use more than one.
Regards,
Squire
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

Its hard to say if necedcessary or not. To many people got themselves youtube. Fame from doing uber and superlather videos and articles.

I think its a failure of the companies
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Not hard for me to say, with certainly. The shaving info YouTube is about as useful as the amateur beer reviews. Like the fly tying videos though.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

:) I'm not sure where all of the doom and gloom is coming from Nic. There's really not any big catastrophe I'm aware of, in the world of wetshaving. Try to look on the positive side. That's what I try to do. You might consider this to be a safe haven from the outside world.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Always look on the bright side is my motto.
Regards,
Squire