Face Lathering with a cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
nicodemus38

Face Lathering with a cream

Post by nicodemus38 »

Im curious, just how tricky is it to face lather a cream? The only cream ive used was really really nuts with water/cream ratios.
ShadowsDad

Re: Face Lathering with a cream

Post by ShadowsDad »

No problem whatsoever.

I always just build lather based on the lather itself. Doing it that way I notice no difference at all in the actual building of the lather. If it requires more or less water I just don't notice that; I do what the lather requires. The biggest difference is that the brush doesn't build protolather first and then puts it onto the face. I just take a snurdle of cream and smear onto both cheeks of my whiskered face. I have put the cream onto the brush but that just doesn't work as well for me.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Not really a problem. I lather exclusively on my face with both creams and soaps. With either one I find it best to start with just a little water in my brush and to add water, as necessary, as I build the lather. When I use cream, which is most times, I apply the cream directly to the brush. When using soap, however, I damp the cake and rub it on my face.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Ditto -- it's simple as stink.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

I agree with Brian. A dab on each cheek and each side of the neck. Add water to the brush as the cream demands, so that (in my preference) the lather gets thin enough to NOT clog the razor or build up under the blade. Also, rubbing a soap puck directly on the face has (for me) been very effective because the beard scratches soap off the puck more effeiciently than would the brush alone.
brothers

Post by brothers »

slackskin wrote:I agree with Brian. A dab on each cheek and each side of the neck. Add water to the brush as the cream demands, so that (in my preference) the lather gets thin enough to NOT clog the razor or build up under the blade.
Yep, that's what I do.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Easier than it would seem.
Regards,
Squire
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

:roll: but but... then I wouldn't have to buy a 90 dollar lather bowl? #-o
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

nicodemus38 wrote::roll: but but... then I wouldn't have to buy a 90 dollar lather bowl? #-o
But, you can buy a small Moss scuttle to keep your brush and lather warm between passes.
Bryan
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

ive never liked making lather in a bowl,,, just airy in my opinion. and by the time I get it worked into my face,, its worthless for shaving
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

I shave in "travel mode" at the health club 2-3 times a week. Since trying it over a year ago, it's convenient and works great for me. Wet face, wet brush, squeeze a snurdle of cream on the brush, and lather away. I've finished off tubes of Nivea Rasiercreme, Godrej Rich Foam, and am currently working on a tube of Real Shaving Co. Moisturising. There's a tube of Godrej Rich Lather waiting in the wings.

At home there are some soaps I'm working on, bowl lathered, with a boar brush, currently a Semogue 1250.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Back in the day, when dinosaur footprints were still fresh, all the men I knew who used shave cream applied a dollop directly to their brush.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

That works too. :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Squire wrote:Back in the day, when dinosaur footprints were still fresh, all the men I knew who used shave cream applied a dollop directly to their brush.
In my experience, standing INSIDE the dinosaur footprint tends to keep one warm and promotes softening the beard.
brothers

Post by brothers »

In the event the cream resides in a tub, it might be that the tips of the brush can be swirled gently on the surface as it picks up the desired amount of cream to be taken directly to the face.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Having the cream applied directly by the supple fingertips of a willing woman also works.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote:
nicodemus38 wrote::roll: but but... then I wouldn't have to buy a 90 dollar lather bowl? #-o
But, you can buy a small Moss scuttle to keep your brush and lather warm between passes.
Moss Scuttles are absolute de rigeur for my daily passes. 8)
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?