soap and cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
nicodemus38

soap and cream

Post by nicodemus38 »

does the size of the harris soaps and creams make up for the difference in price? What I mean is, is spending 30 dollars on a tub of their cream, going to really be any better or worse then simply buying several tubes of different creams or soaps?
Rufus

Re: soap and cream

Post by Rufus »

Harris makes excellent soaps and creams; however, only you can decide if they are worth the premium. My favourite soaps and creams are TOBS, which perform on a par with Harris's, but are significantly cheaper. I buy on the basis of price, quality and performance, and on this basis I think TOBS is better value than Harris, Trumper, CF, Penhaligons and their ilk.
Bryan
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

Im still somewhat on the edge of the English soaps.. they all look good but there has to be a line somwheres.
brothers

Post by brothers »

nicodemus38 wrote:does the size of the harris soaps and creams make up for the difference in price? What I mean is, is spending 30 dollars on a tub of their cream, going to really be any better or worse then simply buying several tubes of different creams or soaps?
Nic, there are literally hundreds if not thousands of posts from a thousand different guys from all over the world, going back more than 10 years, in which they discussed your question. Value is a subjective decision to be made by the individual consumer. Try 'em all for yourself, OR, save your money for wine, women, and song, or what-have-you, and enjoy whatever you've got! No single person or small group of guys are going to be the ultimate final authority on your quest for knowledge.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

nic you might consider the English creams in the singular rather than plural. Just choose one, try it out, then compare the results with less expensive creams.
Regards,
Squire