palm oil

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Re: palm oil

Post by brothers »

One hopes to do whatever one can in such situations. We hope our involvement and concern might have an effect, but in many cases all we can claim is the right to say "I told you so".
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ask4Edge

Post by ask4Edge »

brothers wrote:I'm going to go check my soaps and creams to see if any of them list palm oil. It shouldn't take long.
Edit, I'm back, didn't find any, but if anyone knows of any specific brands among the popularly discussed products that do, please let me know. I figure specificity is pretty much a basic requirement when one begins to single out the wrongdoers. Example: when I made my own shaving soap I did not use any palm oil.
Many popular soaps contain processed palm oil: Czech & Speake (Valobra), DRH, etcetera.

Examples of palm-derived substances: Stearic acid, Stearate, Palmitic acid, Palmate, Palmitate, Palm Kernel oil, Palm Kernelate, Myristic acid, Myristate, Lauric acid, Laurate, etcetera.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Unexpected information. Thanks for that. No wonder they're farming this stuff and bulldozing the jungle so they can farm more. On reflection and trying to understand the situation, a question arises as to a comparison between carbon monoxide/carbon dioxide/oxygen/nitrogen, etc. They've always taught us that the jungle is good for the atmosphere (whereas carbon fuels, livestock and volcanos are not good for the atmosphere). Have they calculated those substances in the air as a result of palms? How do they stack up?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ask4Edge

Post by ask4Edge »

Good question.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I did a quick google search and found this article, which seems to be a warning about future problems with the air for various reasons. Not particularly current problems, if I read correctly. http://planetearth.nerc.ac.uk/news/stor ... eConsent=A
Gary

nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

well alot of these nations are still backwards as can be. And refuse to follow manufacturers directions. Remember the big banning of that pesticide that is basically the only thing proven on termites? India farmers were using the undiluted concentrate at 5-10 times the rate.
it if 1 table spoon was to be mixed with 10 gallons of water to make spray for 5 acres, theyd use a gallon of concentrate.
ask4Edge

Post by ask4Edge »

Thanks for the link. Interesting. I agree, it's a warning for the future.
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Most all the cookies ,breads,pastry prewrapped and sold in Asian and Mexican markets use palm oil as the fat.What they don't tell you they are using palm "kernel" not palm "fruit" oil.The palm kernel is great in soaps,it creates that rich thick lather we love.It's a solid ,rock hard ,artery clogging fat,the palm fruit oil ,although very saturated itself,is liquid at almost all room temperatures.American agri-biz has been using the kernel oil for years as well,Pepperidge Farm charges a luxury price for their cookies,but the sad fact is they use the cheapest fat they can find,palm kernel oil..All arguments to label the product with the type of palm oil have failed.Other super saturated fats used are ilipea and colza nut oils,there are more,but I have been out of the business too long to remember all of them...
ask4Edge

Post by ask4Edge »