My thoughts on ARKO

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
nicodemus38

My thoughts on ARKO

Post by nicodemus38 »

Its good. very goodly in fact.

good skin care, good glide, good smell. The smell is the thing that throws me off. its laundry detergent and something else,,, fruity.

I tried Jarritos Mandarin soda today, and it tastes like my two sticks of arko SMELL>

And compared to erasmic, Arko doesn't seem to have a preference for amount of facial hair needed to get a coat on my face. Had to relather a few minutes after I rinsed off after shaving, missed a spot. and it went on just as fine and ironically,,

no irritation from doing that. normally I would get some irritation.
Ouchmychin

Re: My thoughts on ARKO

Post by Ouchmychin »

My experience with ARKO turned for the better after I started soaking the business end of the stick in water between shaves (advice I got at this forum). I use the lid for an old shaving soap jar and put in about 1/8" of water and stand the stick in it. Once I got it softened up, I can rub an enormous amount of soap into my beard (some would say extravagant but it's so cheap who cares). I am not put off by the scent though it is not my favorite. I get a very rich lather and a comfortable 3 passes and a polish. I could do a couple more passes for that matter. I even skip latering if I want to polish real smooth. I just wet my hands and smear leftover lather around my face. Thinner lather = closer shave.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

ARKO is good stuff, especially when considering the price. It makes a huge difference when someone can make a vat of soap that will make a gazillion bars. For me the preponderance of the scent is citronella. You either like it or hate it. It has absolutely no after the shave skin care but that's not what it's about. I think anyone can make usable lather with ARKO.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

It works for me.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

The thought just occurred to me that sales would go out the roof if Trumpers started using Arko's soap without the scent as the vehicle for their shaving soap fragrances. I'm sure we'd all buy the whole set with backups.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

I had good skin care followup with arko. My skin likes a heavy tallow type substance used for shaving.

La Toja actually had a lower skin care to it.

I think its a good thing really. It lived up to reputation. And it doesn't need to be thick to shave well. just rub it on the wet face, and rub it with a damp hand and that slime is good enough to shave with.
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

I like the performance of Arko, but the fragrance doesn't quite work for me.....kind of like Comet cleanser or something....
Lynn
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

its a good scent when you think on it. Somewhat more "benzene" group that others, but even though its artificial, its still better for my allergies then 90% of whats on the market
mlb549

Post by mlb549 »

I love Arko, a great soap, I am a plumber---trust me Arko scent does not bother me all!!!!!
Mike
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

the scent does grow on one. I enjoy the smell in my bathroom now. the erasmic is almost as nice in my opinion.

but I think they all are drawing hornets.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote:It works for me.
Same here.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
pausted

Post by pausted »

ARKO works just fine. The only reason I quit using it is because of the soap film it left in my sink. It was hard to wash off. Anybody else noticed that problem?
Best regards,

Basil
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have been using it every day and I never have a film. I rinse my face as best I can using water in my hands. Then I rinse it two more times with a damp washcloth that I rinse well. I just let it air dry too.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
pausted

Post by pausted »

Pete, to be more clear, I didn't have a problem rinsing it off my face. My problem was the film it left in the sink. Probably reacted with my tap water.
Best regards,

Basil
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Tried Arko for a while and concede that it works quite well but the pervading scent just put me off.

As there are plenty of other low cost alternatives that work equally well, I see no reason to use it.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I was searching ebay today and one seller was offering ARKO sticks for $1.23 each. I think he was in Turkey.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

theres also a company online, that calls itself wwiisoldier that sells arko sticks in period german wrappers, for 10$ a pop.
razorwhiz

Post by razorwhiz »

Human Bloodhounds do not like Arko. It worked fine for me in the past & need to order more or order some girly boy scented soap.