cella and loading

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
nicodemus38

cella and loading

Post by nicodemus38 »

ive used it a few times and it has me puzzled.

it doesn't have a fondness for getting picked up by the brush. not sure if its my brush, or just the small container size.

It does seem to leave my skin softer.
CMur12

Re: cella and loading

Post by CMur12 »

That's a strange one, Nic. Cella has always worked well for me with badger (silvertip) or with boar, though I think it works especially well with boar. Then again, in recent months my Semogue 1305 boar has worked better for me than any other brush with a variety of soaps.

You could try transferring some of the soap into a larger container. I like the one-cup Anchor Hocking or Pyrex bowls with the fitted lids. It gives plenty of room to work the brush and I have even ended up just making my lather on top of the soap.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

I agree with Murray, transfer the soap into a larger container.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

That's one of the great things about Cella, or any other shaving soap having that "easily moldable" consistency.

If you want to spring for a kilo package (currently selling for about $30 or less), you can mold it into any container you like, and shave for a very long time using a peerless soap. Just be sure you enjoy the scent of almonds.
disengage
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Funny, this is the first time I have heard of Cella's nuances. Usually, I am replying to tricks of the trade with The Fat. And like MWF, I find Cella works fine for me so long as I treat it like any other soap I use ..... i.e., I don't believe I do anything different with different soaps.

ymmv.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

cella is interesting. I have a tendency to have greasy sweaty skin, and Cella does seem a tad greasy on its own. Which is fine.

I think my issue with it is that for me, it tends to dry out rather easy and get "chunky". cushions well but when dry it doesn't seem to let my razor move without a little extra effort. strange and not what it should be.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Nic, it sort of sounds like you aren't using enough water?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

i think im using adequate water. I don't want a runny milk less mess on my face. but tomorrow im going to try the soppiest brush I can.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Try and see, let us know.
Regards,
Squire
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

does cella do better with a badger brush?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

nicodemus38 wrote:does cella do better with a badger brush?
Nic, it would depend on the subtleties of your own technique (how you make lather). I have had very good results with silvertip badger (Semogue 730, 2015, 2040) and with boar (Semogue 1305 and 830). I like it a little better with the boar brushes, but right now my favorite brush with any soap is the 1305. The 1305 and 830 are made with a grade of boar that I have found in no other brush and it is what makes these brushes truly special for me.

Strangely, when I used Cella with pure badger (Omega and Semogue), I got very good lather but it took a lot of effort to get the soap rinsed out of the brush. I didn't have this problem with silvertip or with boar.

You will probably get different results if you go from badger to boar or from boar to badger. If you're having trouble with badger, try a boar brush. If you're having trouble with boar, try a badger brush. The change in lathering characteristics could solve your problem. You also may still need to make adjustments to your lathering technique to get the most out of this soap.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

CMur12 wrote:
nicodemus38 wrote:does cella do better with a badger brush?
Nic, it would depend on the subtleties of your own technique (how you make lather). . . .You will probably get different results if you go from badger to boar or from boar to badger. If you're having trouble with badger, try a boar brush. If you're having trouble with boar, try a badger brush. The change in lathering characteristics could solve your problem. You also may still need to make adjustments to your lathering technique to get the most out of this soap.

- Murray
Nic, I'm with Murray --- it's in your hands and it depends on your own brushes and your lathering technique. Let us know what your results are after you've had some time to spend figuring out what works best for you.
Gary

nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

I admit my lathering and loading techniques haven't always been the best. starting out with substandard soaps last year did I admit, put quite the negative learning curve on me.

I really want to get cella to work for me. If I can make arko, spiek, erasmic stick, la toja , and Williams modern work for me, I SHOULD be able to get Cella to work.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Indeed you should. It could be a matter of starting with a little more water in the brush or a little less. That often determines the success of lathering with the soap in question.

- Murray
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

I am with our Grand Master of The Fat (Wendell) on this one.

First time I hear about difficulties getting a rich, creamy lather from Cella and I can load my various (genuine silvertip and synthetic Mühle Silvertip Fibre) brushes with more than enough Cella.

I treat Cella like any other soap and find it works very well; but my instinctive technique is to dip the brush ever so lightly in water if I find the brush is loaded too (soap) rich.
A soap-rich later is easier to correct than a watery one.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

well I had a shave last night with it. cella and my aristocrat.

I got it kinda watery/runny with my K40. It shaved great. no clogging, no irritation. no problem. Great glide this way. however,,

after 12 hours I am all stubbly again, just like I was when I shaved 12 hours ago.

the same amount of stubble I had after 24-25 hour after the previous shave, with erasmic, same runniness.
J T

Post by J T »

~ Jack
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

nicodemus38 wrote:well I had a shave last night with it. cella and my aristocrat.

I got it kinda watery/runny with my K40. It shaved great. no clogging, no irritation. no problem. Great glide this way. however,,

after 12 hours I am all stubbly again, just like I was when I shaved 12 hours ago.

the same amount of stubble I had after 24-25 hour after the previous shave, with erasmic, same runniness.
Trust me, it ain't Cella (and I have been doing this for too long to give much credence to ever so popular "bad batch" theories).
I get the same results from Cella that I get from all of my better soaps.

As you are pretty much the only one struggling with Cella my advice is a) to keep practicing with Cella until you get the hang of it, or b) stop using Cella, revert to a soap you get good results with and possibly give Cella another try a few months down the road.
Keep in mind though that soaps and creams can deteriorate over time and extended storage may take its toll.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

I just got it from maggards the other month. Doubt its an ancient package.
BPman

Post by BPman »

'Bloom' the soap. Run the hottest tap water you have and let it sit on top of the soap at your sink while you are in the shower. This will soften it more. When you exit to shave pour off the water and then load a wet brush. As well, Cella works better (as do all soaps IMO) with a boar or a synthetic brush.