price point for shaving cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
TommyDawg

price point for shaving cream

Post by TommyDawg »

Hi gents.
With many products over the years I have come to find various mental 'tipping points' where a product price is either within my perceived "buy" range, or above that point in my "do not buy" range. Many things factor in this... value, perceived value, income, the importance of that item, other uses of funds, and so on. So my question as this relates to shave creams... What is your mental tipping point (price) that you generally use as a buy/ don't buy decision? I'll even offer it as two categories. One is for your 'everyday' type shave cream, and another for what you'd consider 'special occasion, once in a while' type of purchase.

For me, I generally get dis-interested in shave cream costing over $16-17. That will get me the majority of good shave creams I like, and enough to experiment around. My once-in-a-while threshold seems to be around $25. Beyond that, I really have difficulty making a good value judgment to pay more for shave cream.

What are your price tipping points?

Thanks...
Tom
pausted

Re: price point for shaving cream

Post by pausted »

I don't classify my shaving creams as "everyday" vs. "special occasion". Rather I use them as the mood strikes. I have about 20 creams and have not thought about a price point. I think my most expensive cream was about 30 dollars. I like it very much (T&H Almond) and don't regret buying it at full retail.
Best regards,

Basil
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I can't help with cream, but cream is soap and they are related...

When I started in blade shaving I poo-pooed the idea of expensive soaps and such. My theory was that the expense was in the scent. To a certain extent, being intimately involve with manufacturing now, that has proved out and been the case. Good basic soap is fairly inexpensive to make. It's what comes after that raises the price.

I'm not a retailing doctorate, nor do I care to be, so I don't know about "Price point". But the ingredients definitely raise the price of the final product. If one wants a certain product it costs x amount of dollars or it isn't made. It's that simple. I've never made to a price but to a quality. Frankly I find making something to a certain price to be obscene and abusive of the customer, but that's me. I far prefer a "quality point" and I don't settle for less. After all, I have skin in the game also.

I can't tell you how much crap I've bought that was made to a price! It's why stuff made today sux. Either make it right or not at all! I absolutely refuse to buy (or use) crap anymore. I've been on record for that for quite some time. Buying crap is wasteful of money and false economy IMO. Yes, there are those who would sell a $2 item for $10. That's where discernment enters. One needs to have knowledge to separate the hucksters from the genuine.

A razor manufacturer and I were discussing this just this morning...He called them "me too" makers of products and not the real deal.

I need to stop now and go no further.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm going to say there are limits, but if it's a very good and good smelling one, I'd go up to about $60 or thereabouts. And if I really liked it and it was in current production, I'd use it every day. If I go much lower than $18 to $25 I'd be tempted to search the forums first to find out if other guys think it's good or not.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

well its a lot of perceived value for most people.

Say good value shave cream costs 5 dollars a 6 ounce tub, and quality shaveing cream co. shaving cream costs 9$ for a 6 ounce tub. 99% will buy the one for 5$ regardless if they have to use twice as much shaving cream to get a decent shave in.

Ive been sorely tempted to try cyrill salter cream out but the price kind of stops me. Same with the other English creams.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

My benchmark shaving cream in terms of quality, performance and price is TOBS. In Canada it sells for Can.$20, plus sales tax, for a 150g/5.3oz tub. I'll buy less expensive creams, such as Body Shop and The Real Shaving Co., but rarely will I buy more expensive creams. After 50 years of wet shaving And trying many, many creams I've found that the TOBS range offers me all I want for a satisfying shave. As an added bonus, I love to while away an hour or so in their lovely shop in Jermyn St., whenever I'm in London.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Palmolive Classic sells for cheap ---- perhaps one of our UK members would be willing to procure some for you at cost of postage and product where it's very affordable and easily procurable (Tesco, Asda, Morrison's, etc.).

Never mind the price point -- this is very, very good stuff ..... worth well above its weight in gold as a lathering product.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
owenm

Post by owenm »

jww wrote:Palmolive Classic sells for cheap ---- perhaps one of our UK members would be willing to procure some for you at cost of postage and product where it's very affordable and easily procurable (Tesco, Asda, Morrison's, etc.).

Never mind the price point -- this is very, very good stuff ..... worth well above its weight in gold as a lathering product.
I agree - I could easily get by on just Palmolive or Erasmic at around £2 (oddly, never tried Ingram), but (prior to a self-imposed shaving goods ban - currently on its 4th year) was happy to pay extra for TOBS. The likes of Harris and Trumper are a bit too pricey for me personally.
Cheers,
Owen
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

If it's a great cream I'm willing to pay more. These days shipping often runs $8+ so the cost of the items is not the only consideration. I've generally been willing to pay a significant premium for something I wanted to try but missed because it went out of production. Very rarely been disappointed.
Rick
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

Rufus, you hit the nail on the head about TOBS. That's what I had in mind when I strarted this. I can be very satisfied with TOBS, or Palmolive, Musgo, MWF, and others and keep a reasonable price. I love T&H and Trumpers but not so much at >$35-$40. At some point, I begin to think of other things I enjoy spending my $ on :).
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

If the scent is the difference, I won't spend much to get it. I like my scents in aftershaves and colognes where the impression is made on others, not me. It's nice to shave with a scent I like, but I shop for soaps and creams that work.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

I went hog wild and bought several razors between 44 and 56 dollars on ebay. a near mint 69 gold plated black beauty and a really great condition 59 fatboy. I did not need them, but I got quality. I had no problem really as they are damn good razors in material, build and shaving.

Its slightly hard to say that paying extra money for a soap or cream is truly worth it, in more then mental stimulation.

It reminds me of the AR-15 game, were 4 companies make 80% of all gun parts, that are rebranded for everyone else. It always made me giggle when a guy would pay 120$ for a charging handle just because it had "the company name on it" versus, the same thing, sold for 40$ because it had no name on it.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Ouchmychin wrote:If the scent is the difference, I won't spend much to get it. I like my scents in aftershaves and colognes where the impression is made on others, not me. It's nice to shave with a scent I like, but I shop for soaps and creams that work.
Me too.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

nicodemus38 wrote:It reminds me of the AR-15 game, were 4 companies make 80% of all gun parts, that are rebranded for everyone else. It always made me giggle when a guy would pay 120$ for a charging handle just because it had "the company name on it" versus, the same thing, sold for 40$ because it had no name on it.
A somewhat Similar situation occurs with watches - most of them use Eta movements so the cost differnces are mainly due to packaging (case, etc.).
Rick