Oliveology Revisited

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
CMur12

Oliveology Revisited

Post by CMur12 »

As some of you may recall, I bought a bottle of Oliveology shaving "gel" when the product was first introduced. I used it a couple of times and the shaves went well, but I wasn't really interested in such a product, so I gave it little consideration.

Lately, I have given this product more consideration, employing it for most of my shaves over the last several weeks. This time around, I am very impressed. Glide is excellent, protection of the skin is amazing, and closeness of shave is unbeatable. That such a thin layer of product can provide such a close shave, at the same time that it so effectively protects the skin, suggests to this linguist who is largely ignorant of the natural sciences that this modestly viscous liquid must have incredible surface tension.

I just apply the gel once, before the shave, and after that I just spritz it with water between passes. Otherwise, it can dry out. I think the closeness and evenness of the shave is because the gel amounts to such a thin layer (allowing the blade very close to the skin), while the great skin protection allows me to go over trouble spots over and over again until I get it mowed down. General advice here has generally been against going over any area repeatedly, while blade-buffing is acceptable and even applauded. I figure I'm just blade-buffing slowly. 8)

At any rate, this product works much better than my best lather. So, here I am with a mega-cache of shaving soap, making lather occasionally when I feel like it and using Oliveology the rest of the time when I don't. Though this may cause some readers to gasp, this is what's working for me at the moment and I thought I would share it.

Any thoughts?

- Murray
BPman

Re: Oliveology Revisited

Post by BPman »

CMur12 wrote:...So, here I am with a mega-cache of shaving soap, making lather occasionally when I feel like it and using Oliveology the rest of the time when I don't. Though this may cause some readers to gasp, this is what's working for me at the moment and I thought I would share it.

Any thoughts?

- Murray
Murray, you should not burden yourself with such a large cache of soaps when this new product works so well for you. Therefore, I offer to 'unburden' you of them and as a measure of good faith I'll pay the postage. It's the least I can do. :P :lol: :wink:
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Therefore, I offer to 'unburden' you of them
wow, one year in and already a true and tried smf'er HAHAHAHAAH 8) 8) :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Ah; after someone elevated the straight-forward, age-old men's ritual of the traditional wet-shave into "The Art of Shaving", someone else had to come along and elevate the centuries-old Mediterranean farmer's job of olive oil extraction into the pseudo-science of "Oliveology".

Some of these Mediterranean farmers knew all along that olive oil can be useful for and after a shave.
For a while, I had tried various light oils for shaving purposes myself, but in the end I went back to support "Soapology" a.k.a. "The Art of Making Soap".

One of the reasons was that the oil remaining on my skin after a straight razor pass made it unnecessarily difficult to tighten the skin for the next pass; another reason was that it tended to clog safety razors and made it more difficult to get a firm grip on a straight razor - an item I very much prefer to hold securely.

In a nutshell, I didn't think the benefits outweighed the disadvantages.

Thin olive oil can be quite useful as a skin conditioner after a shave though, but I am a sucker for "Floidology" a.k.a. "The Art of Applying Floid Aftershave" - another age-old Mediterranean tradition.

Before someone asks: While I would consider donating any remaining oil stocks to a fellow shaver, I am afraid that we used all the olive oils in "Saladology", a.k.a. "The Art of Making Salads".

Not to be taken too seriously...

B.
Last edited by Brutus on Thu May 26, 2016 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
brothers

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:I want to follow up to let everyone know that Oliveology has a repeat customer here in my house! You may recall that I received a full bottle of Oliveology and used it several times before I wrote a review. I am not the target customer for this product, because I like the typical lathering cream customarily used with a brush. After I used it and wrote my review, I gave it to my college student daughter, and she has been using it exclusively for a few weeks.

Recently, she came in holding the empty bottle, and asked me if I could please get her some more! So, being the local shaving ambassador to my family, I have now, with great pleasure, placed an order for a brand new 12 ounce bottle of Oliveology. I did use the SMF discount code, and am very pleased with the ease of ordering and paying through Paypal. Thanks Oliveology, and I do wish you every success with your brushless product.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

brothers wrote:
brothers wrote:I want to follow up to let everyone know that Oliveology has a repeat customer here in my house! You may recall that I received a full bottle of Oliveology and used it several times before I wrote a review. I am not the target customer for this product, because I like the typical lathering cream customarily used with a brush. After I used it and wrote my review, I gave it to my college student daughter, and she has been using it exclusively for a few weeks.

Recently, she came in holding the empty bottle, and asked me if I could please get her some more! So, being the local shaving ambassador to my family, I have now, with great pleasure, placed an order for a brand new 12 ounce bottle of Oliveology. I did use the SMF discount code, and am very pleased with the ease of ordering and paying through Paypal. Thanks Oliveology, and I do wish you every success with your brushless product.

Just for the record and to satisfy my curiosity: Did she come from the kitchen?

(Just asking.... :twisted: )

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Brutus, this isn't shaving with olive oil. I think the product is based on olive oil, but it is quite different. Aside from the outstanding shave, it doesn't clog the razor like your experience with oil.

BPman, I'll keep your offer in mind, but I don't think I would have a very hard time selling off some of my soap stock if I needed to. 8)

Gary, I remember you giving a positive review of this product.

- Murray