My bro-in-law

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

My bro-in-law

Post by fallingwickets »

My b-i-l was here late last year for for his son's wedding and while here he happened to mention that he had started using a de and shaving cream. I sent him home with a jar of kramperts bay rum which he liked a lot. Anyway, I think he finished that because he asked me to send some back with my sister when she visits next week. They live in south africa and 1) stuff is expensive and 2) getting stuff delivered without it being stolen is an art unto itself!!! I figured I would put a small package together for him, so here is my list:

kramperts
mwf
taylors sandalwood
tabac
cella

I wanted to add a lime but the one you guys rave about, castle forbes wasnt available at the few sites i looked at. I have a tube of trumpers I could give him, but if there is anything really special, please let me know.

Do you guys think ive covered a broad base, or is there another cream/soap that would complete the list? I have another two or three days before ordering will miss the trip home.

thanks

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: My bro-in-law

Post by fallingwickets »

P.S the above list is already on a delivery truck :D :D :D
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, that's a really cool project. I have two suggestions. Because you are who you are, I'm hoping you'll include a puck of GFT Rose soap. :) Also, because the Williams shaving soap that either was or still is made in South Africa is the old Williams formula that is reputed to lather like a maniac, I'd ask your sister to tell him to shop around his local retail outlets to see if there's any of that stuff still on the shelves. I think it only came in shaving stick form.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thats Gary, I didnt know that about williams. Maybe I'll ask her to bring a few ....sell them on ebay and retire lol. I did think about the rose, but he is one of those gents that would never dream of using it because of the name. Sad but true, and Im not wasting precious trumpers rose on a neanderthal :D :D
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Cool! It continually amazes me how far "my" products go.

:) I have only one thing to say... What no Frostbite? I write that only because it's summer here in Maine and I develop an addiction for it during these months. My hand just naturally grabs it for every shave. I do understand that SA is having their winter now.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
BPman

Post by BPman »

Yes, get the SA Williams shave stick!! As many as possible!!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Seems to cover the bases well enough Clive.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Brian, I gave the frostbite serious consideration....maybe I will add it.....I was a little hesitatnt only because I have no idea what it feels like and so wasnt sure if it would work for him....last time i used a menthol cream / similar was circa the 1980's and even then it was a once in the blue moon thing....just not my cup of tea.

thanks for all the input gents.....Will definitely be asking for some williams sticks.

clive
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

You had me at MWF ..... full stop =D>
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?