NOS Colgate Barber Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
BPman

NOS Colgate Barber Soap

Post by BPman »

I was fortunate enough to encounter a roll of this long discontinued jewel recently. The pucks are in great shape with no cracks. I decided to use one and wow!! Oodles of creamy tallow richness!! There is really zero scent and to be frank I imagine there was none when new. I soaked the puck in hot water while showering and upon exit all it took was a few licks with the synthetic brush and presto!! I used a thrice used 7 O'clock SS in my Krona and it was like pouring hot butter on velevet!!! Simply superb shave!!

I just love these old time tallow soaps with no frills, just pure steadfast performance. :D

If anyone is interested, I would part with some of these cheap so you too can experience what once was.
malocchio

Re: NOS Colgate Barber Soap

Post by malocchio »

I have one as well ,simply fabulous thick ,rich ,luxurious lather...
gregkw1

Post by gregkw1 »

Is it the soap in the red and white box 1.75 ounces
BPman

Post by BPman »

gregkw1 wrote:Is it the soap in the red and white box 1.75 ounces
No, this is not the modern 'mug' crap that is garbage. Go here & scroll down to see what I am talking about:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/206418211/ ... new-unused
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

I'm also a lucky holder of one of these rolls. Truly fantastic soap.
Rich
gregkw1

Post by gregkw1 »

Where can I get one
brothers

Post by brothers »

gregkw1 wrote:Where can I get one
Well Greg, that's exactly what I said too. The top two most likely sources, as you probably already know, are the shaving forums and ebay. It might require a lot of patience, or we might get lucky right off the bat.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

brothers wrote:
gregkw1 wrote:Where can I get one
Well Greg, that's exactly what I said too. The top two most likely sources, as you probably already know, are the shaving forums and ebay. It might require a lot of patience, or we might get lucky right off the bat.
The Colgate Cup Soap and vintage Williams are still there on eBay, but the price is in the $13-14 range.

A few years ago I managed to find a puck of vintage Williams on eBay for just under $4.00, including shipping. Nice stuff, as were some NOS blades I've
gone through, but I keep finding current alternatives that work nicely for me, and much more reasonable, thank you.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

so now the stuff that comes in the card board box is crap? Just last year I remember they were selling for 12-15 each on ebay... sniff. minute I get some inherited to me its crap..
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tom, that's the upside to all of this activity we enjoy here. For every person who enjoys something like Tabac or Colgate or MWF or Trumper's, there are probably an equal number if not more who don't like it, whatever it may be.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BPman

Post by BPman »

I dug out a Colgate Mug Soap puck from storage yesterday and after attempting a face lather (which failed miserably) I relegated the puck to handwashing duty until used up. Perhaps the most worthless shave soap I have ever used. I bought that one a few years back in an old grocery store and tried it once back then with the same bad results.

The old Colgate Barber Soap & then the later Cup Soap (which are reported to be the same) are what you want. They had gobs of tallow and worked well. Later on Colgate reformulated and called it Mug Soap and it is truly garbage.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

ive been getting exceptional shaves with the lowly mug soap. so good in fact I tried to get an intact roll of the barber soap on ebay. some a-hole sniped me.
gregkw1

Post by gregkw1 »

Just got mine today 4.99 shipped. No scent but what a great lather. A couple of essential oil and bingo soap heaven.
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

gregkw1 wrote:Just got mine today 4.99 shipped. No scent but what a great lather. A couple of essential oil and bingo soap heaven.
not much scent even when new , but damn good lather...
brothers

Post by brothers »

nicodemus38 wrote:ive been getting exceptional shaves with the lowly mug soap. so good in fact I tried to get an intact roll of the barber soap on ebay. some a-hole sniped me.
Tom, I'm sorry you didn't get it.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

If you want to start winning most of the ones you want to win, shoot me a PM. He wasn't an "a-hole", he was a winner. And he got a sweet ebay trophy.
Gary

lanolite

Post by lanolite »

Straight Arrow wrote:I'm also a lucky holder of one of these rolls. Truly fantastic soap.
I bought a roll of it several years ago thanks to a heads-up by you on these forums...and I completely forgot about it! I'm going to dig it out and try it.
brothers

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:If you want to start winning most of the ones you want to win, shoot me a PM. He wasn't an "a-hole", he was a winner. And he got a sweet ebay trophy.
Just to make it clear, in case you're wondering, it wasn't me. I didn't bid because I wanted you to score it.
Gary

blantyre

Post by blantyre »

Unless I'm mistaken the same vendor listed a second roll of soap that sold for $30. Since another roll is currently listed for $100 it seemed like quite a deal. I've. not tried Colgate soap and with so much other stuff in stock I'd never buy 8. If anyone has one or two pucks of the old roll stuff for sale I'd be glad to try it sometime.
Rick
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

lanolite wrote:
Straight Arrow wrote:I'm also a lucky holder of one of these rolls. Truly fantastic soap.
I bought a roll of it several years ago thanks to a heads-up by you on these forums...and I completely forgot about it! I'm going to dig it out and try it.
I just looked up that post. It was 6 years ago and you still haven't tried the soap?!? :shock:
Rich