Snagged a Cake of AOS Tallow Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Ouchmychin

Snagged a Cake of AOS Tallow Soap

Post by Ouchmychin »

Yesterday my stepson brought me a shaving scuttle. First one ever. I had no soaps to put in it, so today I surfed ebay for shaving soap priced from low to high. Going down the list, I ran into a cake of old stock AOS soap that was listed as discontinued tallow based, unboxed but in a velvet sack. I paid $15 for it because when I checked Amazon, they were going for $30. Hope I didn't get a counterfeit.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
BPman

Re: Snagged a Cake of AOS Tallow Soap

Post by BPman »

It's merely Valobra shave soap.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Still a good price, Pete. A Valobra Shave Stick (50g) goes for close to $15.00 now, while the cake of AoS is almost twice that amount of soap.

- Murray
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

BPman wrote:It's merely Valobra shave soap.
Similar thought went through my head, except that I left the "merely" out since I consider the various Valobra soaps outstanding.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Is Valobra different from AOS soap? Is it just one of the versions made by them? Is it normally cheaper than some other formulation? I sure don't know much about AOS except is has gotten high praise here.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The old AOS soaps were indeed Valobra hard soap, and easily identified as such by the sweet undertone to all three scents caused by the clay content. Functionally they worked just as the Valobra branded stuff, but had nicer scents. Before we complain too much about the AOS price, remember that Czech and Speake use the same soap in their two offerings, both of which smell horrid and cost two arms and one leg per puck.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pete, you did good. The price is reasonable.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

I know it's crazy but despite knowing the tallow AOS was made by Valobra, I feel the AOS gives me a better shave than the Valobra. I don't like the Valobra hard soap scents much.
Go ahead, have me committed .
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I can't say much about the scent because it hasn't arrived yet. Edit: it arrived and is a beautiful glossy cake with an intense perfume scent. Not sure what it is but it reminds me of incense. I don't hate it but I haven't used it yet..
Ouchmychin (Pete)
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

there are a lot of "vintage tallow" AOS soaps on ebay right now, problem is NONE are in a box.....

Hence the risk factor is interesting.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Mine came in a cloth bag. It was wrapped in cellophane and stamped AOS. I don't know if it is authentic, but it has a distinctive incense odor and shaves great. The best of any soap I have tried.
Ouchmychin (Pete)