My First Shaves with Valobra

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Ouchmychin

My First Shaves with Valobra

Post by Ouchmychin »

A couple days ago I put my cake of Art of Shaving Valobra into a nice wooden bowl. I wet my brush and started rubbing the surface. Kept going for 48 circles. When I tried to build lather, it was thin and nowhere near as rich as I had been getting with an ARKO shave stick rubbed on my wet face. The soap was just too hard milled. Yesterday I measured two teaspoons of the hottest water from the tap and poured them on top of the cake. Today I tried again. Voila! That wonderful creaminess I was expecting. I should have expected that because I had to soak the ARKO stick before it became soft enough. Nice shave of head and beard. I used a Razorock Monster and a new Gillette Guard and got to a perfect bbs with no irritation.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
CMur12

Re: My First Shaves with Valobra

Post by CMur12 »

It's one of my favorite soaps, Pete. I normally grate up a Valobra Shave Stick or half of an AoS cake and mash it into a one-cup Pyrex dish. I strongly suspect that grating it up like that also makes it dissolve more readily. Interestingly enough, it isn't a triple-milled soap. Valobra's bath soaps are much harder.

- Murray