Omega Shave Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
BPman

Omega Shave Soap

Post by BPman »

They call it "cream", but the stuff in a tub is really IMO a soap. Regardless, Omega has recently upgraded to a newer "V.3" version that smells totally different than the previous two versions. I have been using this off & on for over a month and have come to the conclusion that it is THE best mass production shave soap extant that I know of. Allow me to bloviate. :wink: This newest 3rd Gen. version smells like a better/stronger version of the of the old classic Erasmic, which is a scent that to my nose is the perfect "Barbershop" scent. I simply cannot get enough of it!! =D> Moving on, I have never used any soap that lathers so easily as this one, nor one that also has perfect cushion & glide to boot as well. Yes, there are expensive artisan soaps that work as well, but they require far more water & work, e.g., Mike's Soaps & Cold River Soap Works. They require more $$ outlay as well and in the end don't work one damn bit better.

I am assuming that the same co. that makes Proraso makes this one as they did the previous two Omega versions. I asked the co. via e-mail and although they replied, they would not verify this. But, does it really matter even if the Keebler Elves make it? :P :wink:

This newest Gen. 3 version is the one in the 5.58 oz. tub.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pennellifico-Om ... SwtnpXlRDB
CMur12

Re: Omega Shave Soap

Post by CMur12 »

I haven't tried Proraso for a long time, but the version I remember from about ten years ago had the same ingredients list as the cream, including preservatives. Apparently, it was little more than dried-out Proraso cream.

Have they at least removed the preservatives from this formula?

Also, fragrances burn my olfactory. Is there an unscented version?

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

CMur12 wrote:...Is there an unscented version?...
Nope.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

How about preservatives in the formula?

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

Have at it:

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks, BPman. That Benzyl Salicylate looks like it might be a preservative, though it doesn't "sound" as noxious as many others. The salicylate should be related to aspirin (salicylic acid), though I don't know what the benzyl part is.

- Murray
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Looks like a vegan formula unless the glycerine is swine based...
BPman

Post by BPman »

CMur12 wrote:Thanks, BPman. That Benzyl Salicylate looks like it might be a preservative, though it doesn't "sound" as noxious as many others. The salicylate should be related to aspirin (salicylic acid), though I don't know what the benzyl part is.

- Murray
Murray, with all due respect just Google each ingredient and all will be revealed as to what it is used for in cosmetics. :wink:

Malocchio, yes I agree that it is probably vegan, i.e., non-mammal tallow therein.
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

The ingredients look really nice. I am a big fan of Cella. I'll have to try this one, as the price is right. I try to avoid products that have really long ingredient lists, and this one seems spot on. With Cella, I lather in a mug, and it really works great. I use it, and J.M. Fraser's Original Cream on alternating days.
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

I finally got around to trying this, and it is very good. I got a good lather by mixing Distilled Water with our hard water. I liked the Eucalyptus Scent, and it reminded me of something the ancient egyptians would have used. The other product that I tried today was Valobra Almond with is the soft version. It lathered up nicely as well. So many products, so little time!