Trumper's Rose - current production

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Trumper's Rose - current production

Post by brothers »

I'm just one of hundreds of guys found throughout the shaving community who have sworn off throwing any money toward a GFT shaving soap, until such time as they fix it. It will not produce a satisfactory lather. This is a heavily populated consensus, not just a one-off shot in the dark. Does anyone on SMF have experience with current production Trumper's shaving soap. I want to get a new Rose IF it will perform as well as TOBS and Penhaligon's current production soaps. Otherwise, never mind ---- [-X
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Trumper's Rose - current production

Post by fallingwickets »

how do you know whats 'new'???? I'll gladly buy a puck for the team hahaha

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, me too! If they create a soap formulation that works as well as TOBS, Floris, and specifically Penhaligons, we can easily know by the list of ingredients printed on the box. I am surprised by the depth of disappointment and widespread longing for a GFT hard soap formulation that works, from browsing and searching the other popular shaving forums. Those of us who are familiar with GFT soaps can testify that the GFT soaps are very hard (in a good way), and they last a very long time. Why didn't I list DRH soaps? Because even though it has tallow and their range of scents makes it possible for almost everyone to find a favorite, it is not as hard and it doesn't last as long in actual numbers of shaves (in my experience) as the others listed above.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
owenm

Post by owenm »

brothers wrote: Those of us who are familiar with GFT soaps can testify that the GFT soaps are very hard (in a good way), and they last a very long time. Why didn't I list DRH soaps? Because even though it has tallow and their range of scents makes it possible for almost everyone to find a favorite, it is not as hard and it doesn't last as long in actual numbers of shaves (in my experience) as the others listed above.
I've been using a cake of DRH Lavender for nearly 4 years now, not every day but most. Nasty hard London water too.
Cheers,
Owen
brothers

Post by brothers »

My experience with a cake of DRH Marlborough was 30 days with heavy loading to offset hard water. I did load the brush quite aggressively. Anything less and the lather was too thin and quick to dissipate according to my preference. I have a habit of going for the Santa Claus look when fully lathered up. That's what I get every day with Sartorial soap, while only using around 0.5 grams of soap per lathering.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Gary, Im a bit confused (what else is new ?? haha) Your post seemed to imply that gft had changed the formulation of their soaps, ergo the question: how do you know whats new. So, did they change the formulation, AND if they did, how can you tell new from old?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, that's the $64K question, for sure! Some folks think they can determine when the soap was made by looking at the box and reading the information printed there, including but not limited to the ingredient list.

My intent in posting this is only to say that if anyone who is using "current production" GFT soaps discover the soaps are found to be performing up to their former excellent levels, with or without tallow, I want to know about it so I can get myself some! One would hope GFT would follow Penhaligon's lead and actually state on their shaving goods website that the soaps have been recently reformulated with excellent results. That would be the best approach in my opinion, which of course means nothing to GFT. :)
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks for clarifying. As you know, and I might be the last one standing LOL, I have never had any issue with trumpers rose. I still think its the best soap Ive ever used and why I continue to use it almost every day

clive

p.s. Im planning on buying a puck of the penhaligon's you were talking about recently.....will have to stop by phil's place soon haha