Longevity of Taylor's shaving soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Longevity of Taylor's shaving soap

Post by brothers »

I have a cake of Taylor's Lime soap that has been used for 34 shaves since it was new. When I discovered the Penhaligons Sartorial soap is only giving up .34 grams of soap with every shave, I decided to weigh the TOBS Lime and figure out how it compares to the Pen's. To my surprise, Taylor's is doing even better. The cake of soap started out at 100 grams, same as the Pen's. It now weighs 91.7 grams after 34 lathers. This translates to a per-shave average usage of .24 grams per shave. This is more or less equal to 1 raindrop. This 100 gram cake of shaving soap would theoretically give 416 shaves.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Re: Longevity of Taylor's shaving soap

Post by EL Alamein »

Gary, I gotta get back to my Taylor's Lime!

Thanks for the post. Good information.

Chris
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Up on deck for tomorrow.

Chris
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

So a top notch lather was produced as per before. My skin didn't like the scent ingredients I think as I was irritated for most of the day afterward. Despite all that I got a great clean shave from this.

I prefer Castle Forms Limes Cream over this because it's more mild on my skin. That shouldn't stop anyone from trying it though as the lather was top-notch.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

Chris, It's good stuff. Both the TOBS and the Castle Forbes cream you mentioned.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
owenm

Post by owenm »

brothers wrote:I have a cake of Taylor's Lime soap that has been used for 34 shaves since it was new. When I discovered the Penhaligons Sartorial soap is only giving up .34 grams of soap with every shave, I decided to weigh the TOBS Lime and figure out how it compares to the Pen's. To my surprise, Taylor's is doing even better. The cake of soap started out at 100 grams, same as the Pen's. It now weighs 91.7 grams after 34 lathers. This translates to a per-shave average usage of .24 grams per shave. This is more or less equal to 1 raindrop. This 100 gram cake of shaving soap would theoretically give 416 shaves.
From Gary's and others review of the Taylor's lime soap, I think this is one that I will look to try once I have whittled down the stock a bit (my DR Harris Lavender is showing some wood at the bottom now - hallelujah!). I'm going to spend some time using up some creams once the Harris is done though.

Gary - I wonder if you changed anything else between your previous soaps and the ones you are using now? I have recently started to wet the soap before shaving so that I can get enough loaded onto the brush; I was wondering if before you were keeping it in a sealed container and therefore it wasn't drying out between shaves and was softer?
Cheers,
Owen
brothers

Post by brothers »

Owen, I didn't store it in the sealed container after use. Instead, after I use a soap, I leave the lid off and leave it in the open air until the next shave. A few minutes before lathering it, I did add a tablespoon or so of water to lightly soften it though.
Gary

Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Gary, is this a current soap?
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes, the Lime came out about 2 or 3 years ago. That's when I bought this puck. If they've reformulated it recently, I'm not aware of it.
Gary

Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

brothers wrote:Yes, the Lime came out about 2 or 3 years ago. That's when I bought this puck. If they've reformulated it recently, I'm not aware of it.
Thank you, sir.
Best,
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Taylors soaps lasted me as long as the other brands of triple milled shave soaps. Never counted shaves but I used enough cakes of Taylor Sandalwood to get a general impression.
Regards,
Squire
cpool222

Post by cpool222 »

I love the TOBS rose cream but haven't tried the Lime soap... have to try this one.