XPEC Shaving Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

XPEC Shaving Cream

Post by brothers »

This one has been around a while, it went offline to be reformulated a couple of years ago. It bounced back and now it's in V2 and going strong. I got a big tub of Unscented from my son for Christmas. It'a a good cream. They make a scented version, but when I had it before, it wasn't my favorite scent. Unscented has absolutely no discernible scent according to my nose. This is one of the top shaving creams, and it's made in Italy.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
gregkw1

Re: XPEC Shaving Cream

Post by gregkw1 »

It's a great performing cream but the regular scented smells like urine with some lemon in it
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks! I couldn't quite put my finger on it, until you made the connection. You've broken the code. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BPman

Post by BPman »

Yes, but the $65 approx. price is enough to scare damn near everyone away!! :shock:
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

So the unscented sounds like the way to go, maybe add a shot or two of nice EO or an eau de parfum. I'll skip the Lilac Vegetal scented version - especially at $70 with shipping!
Rick
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today was the day I started using the XPEC for as long as I can. It's an enormous 8.6 ounce barrel, so I'm not going to guarantee I'll use it all up in one single months-long period of time. (I wouldn't be surprised to see 100+ days.) That's a long time for a completely scentless cream.
Gary

churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

The original unscented (with parabens) is an excellent cream for me, but I always add fragrance to the lather with Acqua di Parma Colonia or Domenico Caraceni 1913.
_______
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've thought about adding fragrance, and have tried it a couple of times. For the time being, I've decided to go unscented for a couple of weeks just so I can get an accurate feel for the best way to get the lather I'm looking for. Maybe after that happens, I'll experiment a bit more with the fragrance.

After finding the most appropriate brush today I know I can stick to face-lathering the XPEC. One of the most important features I am hoping for in any soap or cream is the slickness that is left behind after the first and only lather-pass when I splash tap water on my face and go for the overall touch-up and smoothing. XPEC has one of the best slickness factors I've found so far. Onward and upward! :lol:
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

After about 24 days using the XPEC, I'm getting quite accustomed to having no fragrance. Don't miss it at all.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

30 shaves in now. The next 60 or so before it runs out are going to be good.
Gary

blantyre

Post by blantyre »

I bought this but accidentally ordered the scented by mistake. It is quite good - reminds me of the older version of Hammam Bouquet which along with Blenheim are the only two Pens scents that don’t give me a headache. As far as the lather is concerned it is excellent and easy to generate. Overall a great, if pricey, cream.
Rick
brothers

Post by brothers »

More than 60 shaves so far and a little more than half gone. Still looks like at least 100 total shaves might be within range. I'm not trying to be a miser, or to be wasteful. I use about an almond-sized portion at a time and the synthetic brush makes a lot of lovely lather for me.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I figure I've used up about 4/5 of the XPEC. Getting through the next 20 or 30 daily unscented but otherwise excellent shaving cream lather gives me a challenge. Today I decided to add menthol to the remnant of the pot and send it off with a blast of cold refreshment. Something to remember it by. A bit of excitement perhaps. Bon voyage XPEC!
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

First shave with the newly mentholated XPEC today. It turned out OK. I was hoping I hadn't added too much menthol.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Today the XPEC finally ran out. It lasted through 101 excellent lathers. Before today, the record was 100 for the MdC Fougere soap.

Gary

Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

brothers wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:37 pm Today the XPEC finally ran out. It lasted through 101 excellent lathers. Before today, the record was 100 for the MdC Fougere soap.

What a sad picture that is. Much like seeing the bottom of my glass of Scotch.
Bill
brothers

Post by brothers »

The talk around the shaving forums is that XPEC is discontinued yet again. If you've got some, hold onto it. If you can find some to buy, the most recent sighting appears to be Pasteurs in NYC. Other than that, it's gone again.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Good news! Connaught Shaving has XPEC scented and unscented in stock now. Evidently the rumors of its demise were exaggerated! It's good cream, and Connaught's prices are very reasonable.
Gary