My current soap and cream rotation

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Tucker

My current soap and cream rotation

Post by Tucker »

I have always been fixated on hardware, but I am finally venturing into software. Please keep in mind that I have hard water, but I am now using Distilled Water to enhance my lathers. Here's what I currently have:

JM Fraser's Original: This is made in Canada and comes in a large tub for a reasonable price. It has a light lemon scent to it. It reminds me of a cold cream in some respects. I don't get a great lather from it, but it does provide a lot of protection from aggressive razors. I really like it, but won't be replacing it anytime soon, as I am trying so many other products. It will go bad with disuse. It is a great value for the volume you get, and has been around since the 1950's.

Palmolive Original Shaving Cream: I accidentally purchased this instead of the Soap version based on a recommendation for the Soap from Brothers. This is a typical Indian Cream in a tube. A lot of bang for the buck.

Art of Shaving Unscented Shaving Cream: I have a travel tube of this from our "baby moon" to Kansas City before our daughter was born a couple of years ago. This is a wonderful product that creates a great lather at a top of the market price point. I would love to find an emulant at a lower price point!

Cella Shaving Soap (red tub): This was recommended to me for it's lathering characteristics. I really do like it in that regard, but it doesn't provide as much protection as other products do. I wouldn't want to use this with an aggressive razor, and I probably won't replace it when it is depleted.

RazoRock P.160: This is a croap similar to Cella based on a defunct Italian formulation. I haven't used it a lot, but it is no better or worse for me than Cella. A great value at the price point.

Valobra Almond Croap: This came in a bar of soap sized cardboard box, and I smashed it into a Pyrex container with a lid. This is a lot like Cella/ P.160, and it is decent, but not mind blowing. I won't be replacing it, as it is moderately priced. It just didn't wow me.

Omega Shaving Cream: This is really a croap that BPMan recommended, and it is quite good. Highly recommended. It has a Eucalyptus scent that is quite present which is my only downside, as I like more muted scents. Try this one, as it is inexpensive, and a great performer.

Arko Shaving Bowl: I dislike Shaving Sticks of any variety, but a bowl of Arko Shaving Soap is available from a Turkish vendor on Ebay. I really like this one. It is a great travel size at 90g. It lathers wonderfully, and I actually like the fresh smell while others do not. Highly recommended.

Proraso Green Soap: I have this in a 75g travel size bowl. This is a great performer that lathers well, and creates a good razor cushion. The Menthol is a tad overpowering though. Maybe the Red or White is a better choice? Highly recommended, and I will have to try the Red one next.

Van Der Hagen Glycerine: This is hard to find at vendors, so I got it off of Ebay. Mantic59 uses this in his "10 minute Traditional Wet Shave" video. I was quite surprised, as it lathers wonderfully in my Marvy Rubber Shaving Mug. VDH is made in Texas. I think this is the best variety that they make. Highly recommended, and an incredible value.

Erasmic Shaving Soap: I got this in a small black bowl with a cheap slip top lid that my now 2-year old daughter stepped on and broke. It has a Pine Tree scent, and is simply a Glycerine Shaving Soap from the UK. I am not terribly impressed with it, but it was inexpensive. It may be worth trying for travel, etc.

Others that I have tried in the past: Kiss My Face Unscented Pump- this is a liquidy cream that creates a fine lather. It can be found at health food stores. The Body Shop Maca Root Shaving Cream-this is a wonderful product with a great scent. It lathers with ease, and the price is right. Highly recommended.
brothers

Re: My current soap and cream rotation

Post by brothers »

You've got some good ones there, Tucker! These lists have a way of evolving rapidly sometimes. :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Yesterday I finished a tube of The Body Shop Maca Root shaving cream. This morning I opened a new tub of TOBS Sandalwood shaving cream. Also on hand are a tube of Trumper Rose, a tube of C&E Morrocan Myhr and a tube of The Body Shop Maca Root. Later this week I'll be re-stocking probably with TOBS Rose shaving cream, TOBS Lavender shaving cream, TOBS Cedarwood shaving cream and Trumper Sandalwood shaving cream. I'm tempted to try Castle Forbes shaving cream, but I gag whenever I look at the price.
Bryan
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

I really need to try the TOBS Creams, as they are a classic that Gordon used to extol the virtues of. They even make an unscented version. I also need to get some more Body Shop Maca Root. It really is excellent!
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I am almost to the end of an ARKO shave stick. I believe I still have a jar of TOBS sandalwood too. Might try that next.
Ouchmychin (Pete)