martin de candre (rose)

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

martin de candre (rose)

Post by fallingwickets »

A few weeks ago, on one of the threads here, it was made mention that there existed a MdC rose soap. Of all my non trumpers product, MdC is my favourite soap and so I was uber excited to get my hands on the rose version. Turns out that the rose was a one off production for the holidays(?) and the availability is very scarce. Long story short, I bought a sample which arrived last week.

First off, the scent is *extremely* overpowering. You dont have to take a sniff to know whats in your hand!! Ok, thats neither here nor there. Like its regular cousin, the soap lathers up fantastically. Ive used soaps since 1989 and this is the first time I have ever had such a reaction to lather on my face. A really bad burning/stinging sensation> The shave couldnt end fast enough. Honestly, this was the worst shave I have ever had in my life.

I would not recommend this product at all and maybe the shaving gods are looking out for us by limiting the availability and access!! :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
TheMonk

Re: martin de candre (rose)

Post by TheMonk »

Seems like you had a really bad experience, Clive. I'd say the burning is most likely due to the essential rose oils used for the fragrance, which judging by the potency of the scent, they must've gone a little overboard on. In terms of lathering performance, MdC is IMO among the best ever, but even the regular and Fougére soaps really don't have that much of a great scent. I've actually grown accustomed to them, but they are indeed far from brilliant.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
brothers

Post by brothers »

There was a time I thought I was immune to the burning that some guys experienced from time to time. That's not the case nowadays. Over a few years I have now encountered 4 products that burned my face just as Clive has stated. The sample of MdC I received just a couple of days ago was like fire on my face. Couldn't get it washed off fast enough. It went straight into the trash. Thank goodness I didn't waste $80 on a full tub of it. Now I understand why MdC no longer sells it. The scent was just a boring standard rose that didn't impress me at all, by the way. Makes a nice lather, but the Rose now joins Original and Fougere as unimpressive in my personal opinion. No more ---
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

brothers wrote:Now I understand why MdC no longer sells it.No more ---
On the Martin De Candre website it was always listed as a 2016 Christmas special edition.

As I don't care much for rose, I felt never compelled to buy a tub, but as far as the other Martin De Candre shaving soaps go, I quite like them and they give me a smooth, comfortable shave without any burning sensation.

B,
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
celar36

Post by celar36 »

I got similar reaction to MDC Original. I got stinging/pinchy sensation and very dried face after. Shame I love the soap
Jack
brothers

Post by brothers »

Brutus wrote:
On the Martin De Candre website it was always listed as a 2016 Christmas special edition.

As I don't care much for rose, I felt never compelled to buy a tub, but as far as the other Martin De Candre shaving soaps go, I quite like them and they give me a smooth, comfortable shave without any burning sensation.

B,
MdC including Rose is currently in stock at Old Town in California.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

brothers wrote:
Brutus wrote:

B,
MdC including Rose is currently in stock at Old Town in California.
As it was a Christmas 2016 limited edition; after remaining stocks are sold, I don't expect it to be back - even less so after the negative comments above.

As one would expect, by now it has also disappeared from the Martin de Candre website.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell