Review - Bull Dog / Original Shave Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
WetTheFace

Review - Bull Dog / Original Shave Cream

Post by WetTheFace »

Company: Bull Dog
Product: Original Shave Cream

When I was roaming the aisle of Target last week I came across a new shaving cream called Bull Dog. A product of the UK this “Original Shave Cream” comes in packaging reminiscent of days gone by it’s in a squeezable metal tube. This tube retains the shape of where you pressed. I’m not a fan of this kind of packaging the product looks terrible on the counter after a few uses. I found out from the company’s website that they do sell it in the plastic tube but I couldn’t find it here in N.Y. I was able to locate it online.

The cream includes Aloe, Camelina and Green Tea on the package I’m not sure what they bring to the product but my assessment is not much.

The performance of this product is where I started having issues. It’s not a brush type of cream so don’t waste your time trying. The directions do suggest to massage into stubble which I did several times thinking it would produce a better lather but what I got was a slick greasy mess on the surface of my face, not what I was expecting but I reluctantly went ahead with the shave anyway.

The slickness and glide has to be the worst I’ve ever experience in any product thus far in fact I cut myself several times during the shave. I had to bring out the styptic pencil on camera just to keep everything under control and that would be another first for me as well.

So, I didn’t have a great shave with Bull dog in fact it was the worst I’ve ever had in my years of wet shaving and therefore could not recommend this product to anyone.

Company: Bull Dog
Product: Original Shave Cream $8.00

Tube.png
Tube.png (80.2 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
brothers

Re: Review - Bull Dog / Original Shave Cream

Post by brothers »

Thanks for the detailed review. With regard to the metal tube, I've used a tube key in the past to wind up the metal tube as it slowly empties itself from the bottom up. It's neat and takes care of the ugly smashed up metal tube. When the tube is empty, just slip the key off, discard the tube, and transfer the key to the new metal tube.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Another useful review. Thanks, WetTheFace.

- Murray
md2809

Post by md2809 »

I have tried their moisturizer and it works well for me. I have not tried their shaving cream though. It sounds like their shaving cream is non-lather? If so, I have used non-lather that works very well. Not all are created equal when it comes to shaving cream. :)