Question for the scent Mavens

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Question for the scent Mavens

Post by fallingwickets »

Cedarwood:

I have a tub of taylors cedarwood cream. I'm not really a cream fan to begin with, although lather / shave wise its quite good, however like most creams it causes a mild case of skin tingle :) What I do really like about this cream is the scent. Any idea what soap might have a similar scent as the taylors cedarwood cream?

many thanks in advance

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Re: Question for the scent Mavens

Post by brothers »

Clive, the only other Cedarwood I can think of is Castle Forbes, technically a cream, but it loads more like a soft soap. The scent is way stronger than Taylor's in my opinion but I like them both. I would also like to know if anyone else makes a soap scented with Cedarwood.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

if I run across anything, I'll post here with the info.

Maybe (hint, hint) kramperts can give it a shot :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good idea! I have seen a lot of soaps that have cedarwood listed, but in reading the fragrance descriptions the cedarwood is completely buried under almost every other fragrance imaginable, to the extent that it just smells like every other barbershop variety, and not in your face cedar. That's what I like so much about CF.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Gary, the cf product is a cedar/sandalwood correct?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes, that's what they call it. It's pure cedarwood to my nose.
Gary

i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

Although discontinued, if you can find QEDman Pine and Cedarwood shave soap it may be a contender.
Been years since I had it but I recall it basically smelling like a cedar chest full of pine cones and very strong.
Rob
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

If all else fails you could finely grate a puck of an unscented soap of your choice, add a few drops of cedarwood EO, mix well and press it into a puck again. I grated a couple of pucks of very old and dry Colgate soap and blended in some high quality vetiver oil - the result is a very good lathering soap with a scent that I like.
Rick
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

If all else fails
Thanks Rick. Im going to try a tub of cf and if that doesn't work for me, I'll give your idea a whirl

clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

p.s. bullgoose isnt a carrier...any recs on who to buy from sans the amazon? thanks
brothers

Post by brothers »

PM sent.
Gary

DGB452

Post by DGB452 »

D.R. Harris Marlborough shaving soap is heavy on the Cedar wood scent but isn't pure cedar wood, it's a blend of woody notes with a hint of spice.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

CF arrived yesterday....great lather; super disappointed in the scent.....it's hardly - non existent, actually - there

Will try the dandy and rake marlborough next. :)

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

PM sent.
Gary

Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Tere used to be a product called O'cedar that was a cedar oil furniture polish. May still exist. Check at Amazon. Nope, it's gone. The replacement is about $65 a pint. What happened?
Ouchmychin (Pete)
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Curiosity is killing the cat here....whats the verdict, Gary??? :D
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Gucci makes an edt with cedar overtones that I like occasionally. Too costly for every day, I got a couple of samples.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote:Curiosity is killing the cat here....whats the verdict, Gary??? :D
Clive, I find the Cedarwood & Sandalwood to be delightful! What do you say about the Marlborough?
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I havent bought it yet.....my cedarwood obsession seems to have died with the arrival / departure of the castle forbes :D :D :D

clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

p.s. I will say that even though the cf cedarwood scent was not for me, the lather definitely gets 9 thumbs up. Maybe I'll get a bucket of the limes, or start a "make a rose version" campaign LOLOLOL I've managed to wear down women to say yes to a date or two, convincing cf to make rose should be a walk in the park in comparison LOLOLOL

clive