Home Page | Gallery | PM Inbox | Forum Index  

Checking out some Taylor's soap and creams

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!

Checking out some Taylor's soap and creams

Postby brothers » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:28 pm

I started out a few weeks ago intending to finish off the hard puck of TOBS Luxury Lime soap. It's a decent shaving soap. I am growing weary of it now after logging a total of 56 shaves with what appear to be many more in the future before it even starts to run out. I put it aside for now, but it made me curious about the other TOBS products that were hibernating in the catacombs. I dug them out and started with the Jermin Street cream. It did OK, smelled nice, but the formula is different than the other creams: Cedarwood, Sandalwood, and Peppermint. I won't be continuing with the Jermin Street cream. Today I went with the Sandalwood shaving cream and it's very good in terms of performance (slick and protective and I like the rich sandalwood fragrance). I'll probably keep using sandalwood in rotation. This leaves me with 3 more from TOBS to try. Taylor's Sandalwood soap is a different take on sandalwood than the cream. I think the soap has a rich and somewhat spicy sandalwood scent in the bowl that I am looking forward to using soon so I can compare it to the Luxury Lime soap.
Gary
brothers

Re: Checking out some Taylor's soap and creams

Postby Rufus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:25 pm

I use TOBS shaving cream most of the time. In terms of price, quality and performance they are excellent value. The core of my TOBS collection are Rose and Lavender, but I like to mix it up with Sandalwood, Cedarwood and Avocado.
Bryan
Rufus

Re: Checking out some Taylor's soap and creams

Postby EL Alamein » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:33 pm

Gary, as you probably know I am a Taylor's man through and through. I've been using their English Lavender shaving soap for the better part of the last decade (starting in 2009). It's the old formula in the wooden bowl - no longer produced, mind you, but it's just fantastic for me.

It gives me the close, protective, comfortable, and slick lather that I need as a straight razor shaver. It also softens the beard excellently. I get the most comfortable shaves of all from it.

I say stick with it and give them all a try. Hope you enjoy!

Chris
EL Alamein

Return to Shaving Creams & Hard Soaps