What soaps are still good?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
BPman

Re: What soaps are still good?

Post by BPman »

https://www.fineaccoutrements.com/Fine- ... -p/css.htm

It's said they are made in Europe and are essentially the same as Tabac soap, but in better scents. I agree.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

but in better scents. I agree.
what does snake bite smell of??
de gustibus non est disputandum
mlb549

Post by mlb549 »

Snake Bite is unscented with a healthy dose of menthol. If you like menthol, it's a good soap. I don't know about the after shave as I don't use them.
Mike
NickNCut

Post by NickNCut »

EL Alamein wrote:The Old English soaps of yore from many a prominent maker are sundered. What you experienced a decade ago was the last breath of a dying culture IMHO. Its a shame as they were the best that's ever been IMHO.

There are many excellent replacements in this thread for the makers that have caved. Try them all and find what suits you best.

Good luck to you!

Chris
It is a shame, I can't imagine why they would change so much. How can't there be not money in it. The soap base seems like it would be the least expensive of the ingredients. I could see if the scent had changed as to using cheaper essential oils or synthetics, but the lack of a quality soap will be the end of them. I will never buy any of them again unless I can get a recommendation from this forum.

My wife and daughter are spending the next week in London. Is there anything I should have them bring back to me (other than Jammie Dodgers) that I can't get on the internet?
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Nickncut, I wish I could give you experienced advice but I've never been to London (yet).

If I were to go to London today I know I would get a shave at Trumper's, Taylor's, and Truefitt & Hill at the least. This would be just for the atmosphere and experience to compare with one another. I believe all of them give shaves with their creams so if you opt to get a shave anywhere state precisely what you'd like if it's important. I know for me I can't stand anything they offer that's Nouveau or Modern because it's no longer my preference, scent wise, (though as a younger man I might have liked it). For me it would be Rose or Sandalwood (unless it's Truefitt & Hills Sandalwood which I would pass on because it's sundered, scent wise, but hey, if you like the current iteration go for it).

I, personally, wouldn't buy anything shaving soap wise simply because they "ain't what they used to be" from what I've read in the last few years on the various forums.

I have a lifetime supply of the Old Formula shaving soap that Taylor's made and have no desire to experiment with any current iterations of any purveyor as even the best of the modern variations, from several English makers that I have, are not quite as good as the Old Formula though some came close. Though the best of the modern ones, now dating back to four or five years ago, were very good to excellent (witness the Floris No 89 soap from five years ago, a great improvement upon itself from just a year or two before and very excellent) I don't know if what's produced today is anywhere near as good as I haven't purchased anything in years. From reports I've read I am afraid to try.

The next generation of wetshavers have to evaluate what's out their now and let us know if it's any good. Try to get ahold of what used to be first to make a valid comparison.

In the end shave with what works for you.

Chris
BPman

Post by BPman »

NickNCut wrote:...It is a shame, I can't imagine why they would change so much. How can't there be not money in it. The soap base seems like it would be the least expensive of the ingredients...
Simple: there is little demand for such as 99.99% of U.S. shavers use canned goop.
Last edited by BPman on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brothers

Post by brothers »

The opposite may be closer to the truth. One doesn't make the product less attractive to the small percentage of users, you make it better than your competition. However, in truth, using my favorite example: GFT had the market, but had a big meeting and decided to change the recipe to result in nothing more than an inert ball of wax that smells good and doesn't lather. Meanwhile those .01% that do make their own lather with a brush are buying all the excellent tallow and vegan shaving soap they can carry from the artisan soap makers as well as the old line soap makers such as Speick, Palmolive, Valobra, Tabac, Cella, Proraso.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

BPman wrote:
NickNCut wrote:
EL Alamein wrote:...It is a shame, I can't imagine why they would change so much. How can't there be not money in it. The soap base seems like it would be the least expensive of the ingredients...
Simple: there is little demand for such as 99.99% of U.S. shavers use canned goop.
BPMan, please update your quote as I didn't write this but NickNCut did.

Chris
BPman

Post by BPman »

Recently, there has been a "cullling" of artisan soap makers by market forces. Few SE/DE wet shavers are loyal in the sense that they buy repeatedly from the same maker as there is always some new artisan that everyone wants to try. It's a double edge sword so to speak for artisan soap makers. Remember Tims? Strop Shop? Gone, and others as well. Selling shaving soap to an extremely small percentile of shavers is not a way to get rich nowadays or else Gillette would be doing it.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I have kept my soaps. But for me it's not a major part of my business, nor do I make them. It's more of a concession to my customers who want matching soap for the after the shave product. If I was counting on soap as a major part of my business I'd be out of business.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

BPMan, thanks. Much appreciated.

Chris
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

A rose by any other name, well, isn't.
Regards,
Squire
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I don't want to steal this thread but I know it will get read so I am posting this note here. A while back a member knew that a a brushless shaving cream I was using was not greasy, it fact it worked quite well. I posted about it then but now have forgotten which it I will start a new thread about this.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

FW, that could happen sooner rather than later. At this time I'm just waiting for my nose problems to abate. It's one of the things I have on the back burner; a masculine rose scent, and others. I need to clone myself. It's mostly me, and the wife helps by folding the sheets and putting them under the 1st wrapper. The rest is me and I can only spread myself so thin and still be retired. I love retirement.

Glad you like it Nick :-). I hope you don't wear glasses. I do and they can act as an amplifier for the eye effect. But I've learned to move and not stay still. That prevents the tears. :-) I was warned during testing that it's not for everyone, but I needed to make it for me and I always fire for effect.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square