C.O. Bigelow Shaving Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
WetTheFace

C.O. Bigelow Shaving Cream

Post by WetTheFace »

Company: C.O. Bigelow
Product: Shaving Cream
Created by Proraso Exclusively for C.O. Bigelow
Established: 1838

I’ve been looking for a good shaving cream lately and been very disappointed on my search results. Then I came across a post from both Stephen Davison and Michael Davis members of my Google+ Wet the Face community. They posted a SOTD using C.O. Bigelow shaving cream. I tried just about everything else so why not try this one too. I found the site online and put an ordered in.

When the parcel arrived, on the outside the box read 414 Sixth Avenue below ninth street. I had no idea of the address so now I might be able to take a visit to the store when I’m in the city during my lunch break. Everything was carefully packed nestled inside the bubble wrap. My order of one premium shaving cream 5.2oz and two additional samples of Proraso Balm and Mavis Mint Mouth Wash where both free of charge when you order from the website over a certain amount.

You have to love the metallic looking box and tube the shaving cream comes in. The only problem I have with the tube is that it’s made of a thin metal or tin and retains the shape of where you squeeze. Some people have no problems with this but this is a pet peeve of mine. I just hate the way the tube looks after many uses.

The scent of the cream is eucalyptus and man does it smell great. This shaving cream instructions said it allows you to use a brush which is my preferred method and after adding a little water It took only 47 seconds to create an amazing bowl lather. A rich creamy lather which was easy to applied and very thick. It completely covered my face and worked its way into my 6-day old beard with little effort. The eucalyptus kept it interesting I experience a very refreshing feeling during the entire shave. My slant was able to run across my face with ease allowing for multiple passes with no irritation. My post shave feel was one for the books with the eucalyptus still present and working its magic.

So, I had a great shave with this cream for now my search is over. I’ll stick with this one until the urge to look again hits me.

Company: C.O. Bigelow
Product: Shaving Cream
Created by Proraso Exclusively for C.O. Bigelow 5.2oz $10.00
Attachments
Lather.jpg
Lather.jpg (344.76 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
tube.png
tube.png (739.37 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
Antique Hoosier

Re: C.O. Bigelow Shaving Cream

Post by Antique Hoosier »

The C.O. Bigelow / Proraso cream in the tube is a simple and satisfying shaving experience. Affordable and classic, think of the men the world over that use it everyday...I'm sure there are several. If the thin metal tube bothers you, a similar experience is the plastic tube Omega Crema da Barba.... it is also a very fine experience.
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

Donald, if you get yourself a tube key it solves the problem with the ugly crinkled up metal tube. The key simply rolls the tube and keeps it looking neat and tidy. When the tube runs out you simply slide the key out and use it on the replacement. The tube keys are cheap and plentiful. You probably already know that the brick and mortar chain store Bath & Body Works sells the CO Bigelow - Proraso shaving cream in both large and small tubes. I'm glad you finally got yourself some!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BPman

Post by BPman »

It was the first cream I used when I began this adventure. Many overlook Proraso made products for catchy artisan soaps nowadays.
brothers

Post by brothers »

BPman wrote:It was the first cream I used when I began this adventure. Many overlook Proraso made products for catchy artisan soaps nowadays.
Same here. First real shaving cream I ever used, it was the end of my canned stuff.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

BPman wrote:It was the first cream I used when I began this adventure. Many overlook Proraso made products for catchy artisan soaps nowadays.
The Proraso products I've used rank right up there with the best of them.
Regards,
Squire