budget shaving soaps

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
mlb549

budget shaving soaps

Post by mlb549 »

I spent this past week shaving with lower cost shaving soaps that also perform very well. I am not posting this to stir up controversy. I have all these products and are in my rotation and I have used them for a long time, they are; in random order: Williams Mug Soap, Arko, Imperial Barber Soap, Colonel Conk(scent not important), Derby, VDH Luxury, and Clubman Soap. All lathered great, provided a comfortable shave on both face and head. All were bowl lathered with same brush and I uses same razor and blade everyday. It was very enjoyable. With over 200 soaps and creams looking at me every morning, at times, it's fun to really mix things up. One can enjoy "entry level" pricing as well a quality shaves. Some of these soaps really perform than as good or in some cases, better, than some of my much higher end products. Enough rambling-----thanks for enduring, Mike.
Mike
brothers

Re: budget shaving soaps

Post by brothers »

I'm with you. Derby and Arko are my favorites of your list.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

No problems with Derby or Arko.
Regards,
Squire
mlb549

Post by mlb549 »

I am preparing for another week of budget shave soaps: Godrej, Kell's Original(several scents), Williamson blue bowl, Erasmic, Ogallala(several scents), Latoja, and Palmolive. These soaps are all very inexpensive with many qualities of their own. I grate my sticks into bowls as I very seldom face lather. I can see a week of Coate's Cream coming. With the prices of Coate's now, I shouldn't use more than a few cents of product for the week! Wonder if MDC will ever have prices like this?! The wife and I attended Maggard's meet a couple of weeks ago- between both of us, we came home with two dozen sizable samples to try. They had a PIF table this year that was a big hit also. Also present, Mark/Mantic, Matt from Razor emporium, and over a dozen vendors. A great bunch a wet shavers in attendance. I was able to escape Maggard's only spending $200---rounded of course.
Mike