Review - Edwin & Jagger Cooling Menthol

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
WetTheFace

Review - Edwin & Jagger Cooling Menthol

Post by WetTheFace »

Company: Edwin & Jagger
Product: Cooling Menthol Shaving Cream
Website - http://www.edwinjagger.com/

I have incredible friends in wet shaving. Wet The Face has been around since March of 2015 and in this time I've been sent many samples from around the world which leads me to one of them from England called Edwin and Jagger Cooling Menthol shaving cream.

The sample package is just enough for one to two shaves or at least that's how it worked out for me. If you do have any left it's sure to be safe with the snap on lid provided on the sample tub. I can't be sure but it looks to be about 1oz.

The scent of this cream was something I had to get used to. It didn't strike me as something I would have reached for if it was on the shelf in a store. This cream gets bonus points for its Cooling Menthol effect, amazing lather and being Natural & paraben free.

According to the company, you'll get a better lather if you use a brush but you can still just use your fingers as well. My bowl lather was just fantastic I produced a creamy rich lather that was just a pleasure. I had so much lather on the brush it was truly something to see. Once you start brushing it on it got right into the beard. I noticed that it was foamy at first then it slowly started to change to the consistency of yogurt a very creamy rich lather and with a beard showing more than 5-days of growth it amazingly went on like I was painting my face. It provided total coverage. Then the menthol starts but not harsh it comes up slowly and then adds to the pleasure of the shave. This also stays with you for 20 mins or so which adds to the great post shave feel. The slickness and glide are just the best. Most creams I use seem to offer this more than shaving soaps do of course this is just my opinion.

So, I had a great shave and would recommend this to anyone looking for a new cream to try. Truth be told, the scent was not the star of the show with this cream but rather the Cooling menthol effect it's something you should experience and if you like that cool feeling then you can explore the other offerings artisans have that will send you into menthol Nirvana.

Company: Edwin & Jagger
Product: Cooling Menthol Shaving Cream 100ml $22.00
Website - http://www.edwinjagger.com/
Attachments
Lather.jpg
Lather.jpg (318.45 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
Cream.png
Cream.png (775.09 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
brothers

Re: Review - Edwin & Jagger Cooling Menthol

Post by brothers »

I realize this well-done review concerns the cream, but I have often wondered about the EJ Menthol soap. Haven't had a chance to try it, and that's my fault. I'm curious about the performance of the soap. Particularly the cushion and above all else, the slickness. First thing I'll check is whether it's got tallow.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

Me too, I can't say that the scent really wows me. It's ok, but the lather and the menthol effect are great.
Modern Ancient

Post by Modern Ancient »

brothers wrote:I realize this well-done review concerns the cream, but I have often wondered about the EJ Menthol soap. Haven't had a chance to try it, and that's my fault. I'm curious about the performance of the soap. Particularly the cushion and above all else, the slickness. First thing I'll check is whether it's got tallow.
I swear by Edwin Jagger Shaving Soaps. I had been using the Cooling Menthol, for months, before switching, to the Aloe Vera. I highly recommend trying out a roundel. I, really, have more good feelings attached, to this soap, than to any other. I use EJ soaps as a measuring stick, to judge other soaps. I use it every morning. Typically, 6 times, per week. And, for the price, they are incredible. =D> 8) :!: :arrow:
brothers

Post by brothers »

If you've been able to use up a puck from start to finish, I am wondering if you might recall about how many shaves can you get from a full puck.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Modern Ancient

Post by Modern Ancient »

I have changed my mind, about this soap. It gives poor lather. I suppose I was okay, with the menthol, as the menthol masked the lack, of protection, from the lather.

Now, I am looking for a new soap.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for the follow-up. I know what you are talking about.
Gary

Modern Ancient

Post by Modern Ancient »

brothers wrote:Thanks for the follow-up. I know what you are talking about.
Here is another hot take: it lathers just fine, but, only makes enough lather, for one pass. This is the main gripe, against this soap.