Home Page | Gallery | PM Inbox | Forum Index  

Important Ingredient in Shaving Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!

Important Ingredient in Shaving Soap

Postby WetTheFace » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:48 pm

I have been mulling around and testing new formulas of shaving soap. I'm thinking of adding lanolin to one of my test batches and I'm wondering would this be an important ingredient if not what would be the one thing you look for in a shaving soap.
WetTheFace

Re: Important Ingredient in Shaving Soap

Postby drmoss_ca » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:33 am

I use lanolin in my home made soap, but you have to be careful to keep the percentage low, or it reduces latherability, and the soap makes a creamy lather with little air admixed.

The one ingredient to look for is either tallow (or stearate, as tallow is largely stearic acid). Nobody uses it, but lard does the same job.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Postby Modern Ancient » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:01 pm

I am allergic, to lanolin.
Modern Ancient

Postby brothers » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:34 am

WetTheFace wrote:I have been mulling around and testing new formulas of shaving soap. I'm thinking of adding lanolin to one of my test batches and I'm wondering would this be an important ingredient if not what would be the one thing you look for in a shaving soap.

For me, it seems that my soaps that contain tallow are dominant. That's what I look for.
Gary
brothers

Return to Shaving Creams & Hard Soaps