I need a new soap.

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Modern Ancient

I need a new soap.

Post by Modern Ancient »

I had been using Edwin Jagger, but, over the past few days, I have noticed, the quality of the lather is lacking. It took way too long to get a horrible lather. It is too easy to get over wet, and, too easy to leave dry.

Can anyone recommend me a new soap? It must be bright white, in colour, and, vegan.

Thanks, in advance.
Modern Ancient

Re: I need a new soap.

Post by Modern Ancient »

Also, I am looking for a hard soap.
nav

Post by nav »

The bath house Cuban Cedar and Lime... It's a divine scent with great performance!!

It doesn't get any talk time but i bought it on a whim and knew i was taking a risk as it may be a dud but it turned out awesome in every way!

Upfront you get a tangy lime grapefruit which is backed up with slightly musky woody notes.

It's a wonderful combination and the soap performs very, very well!!
Modern Ancient

Post by Modern Ancient »

nav wrote:The bath house Cuban Cedar and Lime... It's a divine scent with great performance!!

It doesn't get any talk time but i bought it on a whim and knew i was taking a risk as it may be a dud but it turned out awesome in every way!

Upfront you get a tangy lime grapefruit which is backed up with slightly musky woody notes.

It's a wonderful combination and the soap performs very, very well!!
thank you, for the suggestion
Modern Ancient

Post by Modern Ancient »

Update: I tried another lather, this afternoon, to see if the results were similar. The thing is: this soap is the opposite of thirsty. The brush should only be a little damp, and, only the tips of the bristles, when loading. It takes about a full minute, or more, to load. Then, you can build the lather, as normal, but, if you add too much water, you need to start over.

This is true, for hard, and, soft water.
J T

Post by J T »

Golddachs, comes in 3 flavors and its Vegan.
~ Jack
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Golddachs
never heard of that before now, but rumour on the www is that its quite decent. thanks for mentioning

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Modern Ancient wrote: Can anyone recommend me a new soap? It must be bright white, in colour, and, vegan.
Probably wrongly, I am now imagining you under the thumb of your better half, who insists that only white soaps exist in her bathroom, and god knows how she'll make you suffer if you dare use something non-vegan! Probably quite inaccurate, and your preference for palm oil soaps is based on a sincere and dedicated desire to reduce jungle habitat by clear cutting for palm plantations until the last of those evil orang utans is eradicated from the face of the earth.

Bright white and vegan?

To be serious, the common factor in nearly every best loved shaving soap is tallow. Tallow is principally stearic acid, and stearic acid can be sourced from non-animal sources. So you'd want to look for soaps containing sodium stearate or potassium stearate, or most likely both. These can be found, but may not be white. You didn't mention whether the boss lets you have scents, so that might impose a further constraint.

C.
#bluesoapsmatter
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Janus

Post by Janus »

I prefer tallow soaps but I could get by with Savon du Midi, if I was forced to go vegan. A 75 g puck goes for around 3 to 4 euros this side of the pond. They also make soft soaps, but I haven't tried those. I don't know if it's availabe stateside.
Janus
Modern Ancient

Post by Modern Ancient »

Thank you, for the suggestions, everyone.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Janus wrote:I prefer tallow soaps but I could get by with Savon du Midi, if I was forced to go vegan. A 75 g puck goes for around 3 to 4 euros this side of the pond. They also make soft soaps, but I haven't tried those. I don't know if it's availabe stateside.
It appears that they ship worldwide. The price in US $ is a little over $10, plus shipping. Still not a bad price. I didn't read the reviews because they are in Italian, but they are mostly 5 out of 5, none less than 3.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Modern Ancient

Post by Modern Ancient »

brothers wrote:
Janus wrote:I prefer tallow soaps but I could get by with Savon du Midi, if I was forced to go vegan. A 75 g puck goes for around 3 to 4 euros this side of the pond. They also make soft soaps, but I haven't tried those. I don't know if it's availabe stateside.
It appears that they ship worldwide. The price in US $ is a little over $10, plus shipping. Still not a bad price. I didn't read the reviews because they are in Italian, but they are mostly 5 out of 5, none less than 3.

This seems worth checking out!

I have been using Pré de Provence. I like it.