Tabula Rasa

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
pausted

Tabula Rasa

Post by pausted »

When this German product came on the scene a few years ago it made some waves on the forums. I took a look at it then and decided to pass. $31.00 for 90 grams sounded way too high to me. I notice that several vendors are still selling it for over 30 dollars. Just recently I found that Smallflower is selling it on Amazon for $13.20 with free shipping. I decided to give it a try. This is a very nice cream. Note that I said CREAM. On the tub they call it a soap and the vendors describe it as a soap/cream. It is a CREAM. Very soft and requires bowl lathering or face lathering. I wouldn't want to swirl my brush in it. You would pick up too much product. I have used it twice. The first time I lathered about a walnut sized portion and had enough lather to shave two people. This morning I used about an almond size and had plenty of lather for my two pass shave with some left over.

It really provides a comfortable and protective shave. Post shave feel is very good. They have lots of scents. I chose the Tea scent (coriander and bergamot) because it sounded interesting, like Earl Grey tea. It is a light and pleasant citrus smell. I will enjoy using this cream for some good shaves. If you have any interest at all, check out Tabula Rasa on Amazon. BTW, it comes in a large, white pot with a screw top lid and an inner plastic lid. When I received mine, a large portion of the product was stuck to the inner lid. Probably due to shipping jostling. I scraped it into the tub and ended up with about a half filled tub. Remember, it's only 90 grams.

You might give it a try.
Best regards,

Basil
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Tabula Rasa

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks for the tip. Only the unscented strikes a chord with me, however the cream part stops the buy. Off topic, I wonder why do they call it a soap in the first place

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
BPman

Re: Tabula Rasa

Post by BPman »

pausted gifted me a small container of this and it is a superb vegan soap. It is very much like Sudsy Soapery vegan soaps IMO. These are two vegan soaps that bridge the tallow "gap" in performance IMO. The secret is to bowl lather as pausted said with these soaps and use very little water as opposed to a tallow soap.

One day I hope to try Catie's Bubbles which many say is the ultimate vegan soap, however the forum failed to give me a shaving stipend for the new year. :cry: :wink: