Tabac inspired

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Tabac inspired

Post by brothers »

Reassuring strength
Sincerely reliable
Tabac morning smooth
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re: Tabac inspired

Post by Sam »

Im gonna use my Tabac tomorrow
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

i gave my tabac away a few years ago, but after reading your post i have a tinge of regret :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

I still have about 1½ sticks of Irisch Moos left. Great fragrance, but maybe too much of it.
Can't use it for more than two shaves in a row without feeling irritation from it.

As we head into the dry winter months, I've found the best lather for me is from an LEA
soap stick, "con glicerina y lanolina." Et "Testado dermitologicamente."

As always, YMMV, or as Fallingwickets quoted: "De gustibus non est disputandum."
brothers

Post by brothers »

This one's just a few days of running out. It's been a great run. It passed the long-term fragrance test with flying colors. I swear it smells even better now with just a few grams left. Almost 2 months of constant use.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

brothers wrote:This one's just a few days of running out. It's been a great run. It passed the long-term fragrance test with flying colors. I swear it smells even better now with just a few grams left. Almost 2 months of constant use.

While I would not want to use any shaving soap or aftershave every day for a month or so, Tabac is fairly high up on my regular rotation list, as it works so well, and hardly a week passes when I don’t use it.

My wife describes the scent as “old fashioned”, but for me this scent may be part of the attraction, as I believe my father used Tabac aftershave in the early 60s, and the scent of his Tabac aftershave was part of my daily morning routine.
Sadly, I cannot ask my father anymore.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
BPman

Post by BPman »

I have the soap and AS, but I find that the days between usage are further & further apart as the extremely powerful & lineal scent becomes overbearing. :(
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

I recently finished a small 30ml bottle of Tabac aftershave which I thoroughly enjoyed wearing. Quite "old fashioned" as described above, but very classic and suitable for most occasions I found.

Here in the UK it's not terribly easy to find - I actually bought my bottle from a hyper-market in Abu Dhabi of all places.

Gareth
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Gareth wrote:I recently finished a small 30ml bottle of Tabac aftershave which I thoroughly enjoyed wearing. Quite "old fashioned" as described above, but very classic and suitable for most occasions I found.

Here in the UK it's not terribly easy to find - I actually bought my bottle from a hyper-market in Abu Dhabi of all places.

Gareth
In Germany and Austria it’s quite easy to find, as most drugstore and department store chains seem to carry it, but there is also the German Amazon version (amazon.de) with several online shops that sell to anywhere within Europe.

Having found it in Abu Dhabi out of all places?
Interesting and chance find.
I never spotted it locally in my 32 years in the UAE and picked up Tabac aftershave in Europe, often in the 300ml “king size” version of the bottle.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Brutus, yes I find it to be quite readily available in their Carrerfour hyper-markets.

Actually there is usually quite a nice selection of traditional shaving products - various shaving creams, soaps, DE blades etc.

Gareth
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today was the final (50th) shave in a row with the puck. Absolute perfect lather and performance from first to last.
Gary

stagger

Post by stagger »

Tabac is still my favorite hard soap. Great fragrance and excellent performance. I have to admit that it is followed closely by the FAT tho.
Regards,
Mark -
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

Gareth wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:37 pm I recently finished a small 30ml bottle of Tabac aftershave which I thoroughly enjoyed wearing. Quite "old fashioned" as described above, but very classic and suitable for most occasions I found.

Gareth
Gareth, just this past December I bought a puck of Tabac through amazon.ca; the vendor was Zu Store London.

I've been using it almost exclusively for the last month, and as others have noted, the nostalgic "old world" aroma is appealing. I believe my grandfather ("Opa") used both it and the after shave.

Bill
Bill
brothers

Post by brothers »

stagger wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:42 pm Tabac is still my favorite hard soap. Great fragrance and excellent performance. I have to admit that it is followed closely by the FAT tho.
Hi Mark! Good to see you here. It's been a while. I agree completely!
(Almost completely --- the MWF has something about the scent that isn't my "cup of tea".)
Gary

stagger

Post by stagger »

Thanks Gary! I don't stop in here as much as I used to. Gonna have to correct that.
Regards,
Mark -
brothers

Post by brothers »

Last year I got a good deal on some refill sticks of Tabac. This week I put one in an old Irisch Moos tube (same manufacturer) and will be using it up from start to finish now through the end of the year.
Gary

Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

What a coincidence: I used Tabac this very morning; using a new Rapira blade I wound up with a surprisingly smooth and comfortable shave. Rapira was one that I'd previously written off as "meh", but I'm slowly coming to the realization that shave performance has more to do with technique than it does with equipment. Who'da guessed? :wink:

I used my Semogue 1305 and finished up with 4711 after shave to round out my homage to my granddad.

Bill
Bill
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Bill_K wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:38 am What a coincidence: I used Tabac this very morning; using a new Rapira blade I wound up with a surprisingly smooth and comfortable shave. Rapira was one that I'd previously written off as "meh", but I'm slowly coming to the realization that shave performance has more to do with technique than it does with equipment. Who'da guessed? :wink:

I used my Semogue 1305 and finished up with 4711 after shave to round out my homage to my granddad.

Bill
Hmmh, 4711 as homage to your grandad?
As a baby-boomer, I grew up in a small town near Cologne, Germany, where this stuff originated, and at that time 4711 epitomized an old lady’s Eau de Cologne.
My grandmother seemed to use it all the time, dabbing a few drops into her handkerchief to soothe her nerves (as old ladies were fond of doing then), so for me it would be more a homage to my grandmother.

I am still struggling somewhat to wrap my head around how this former old lady’s Eau de Cologne became popular among men, but be it as it may it’s now also available as an aftershave and maybe it’s only my sense of smell bringing back a vivid recollection of old ladies born in the Victorian era that keeps me from trying it.
Maybe next time I go back to Europe I should sniff 4711 again and possibly change my mind, as I generally like orange/bergamot tones in shaving soaps and aftershaves.

As far as blades are concerned, it may not only be your technique.
A good soap can bring out the best in a blade and I always found that Tabac worked rather well in that respect.

B.

Bertrand Russell
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

Brutus, it could very well be that my reminiscences are out of whack. I'm pretty certain that he had the aftershave, but one thing I definitely recall is that my grandmother had the cologne in the cylindrical bottle with the trademark blue-and-gold label.

Today's aftershave definitely puts me in mind of the ladies' perfume, but there is a difference that I can't quite figure out.

I used the Tabac again this morning and enjoyed the experience.
Bill
brothers

Post by brothers »

This stick of Tabac will last as many as 125 shaves.
Gary