Tabac inspired

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Tabac inspired

Post by brothers » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:53 am

Reassuring strength
Sincerely reliable
Tabac morning smooth
Gary

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re: Tabac inspired

Post by Sam » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:33 am

Im gonna use my Tabac tomorrow

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:00 am

i gave my tabac away a few years ago, but after reading your post i have a tinge of regret :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum

Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:58 am

I still have about 1½ sticks of Irisch Moos left. Great fragrance, but maybe too much of it.
Can't use it for more than two shaves in a row without feeling irritation from it.

As we head into the dry winter months, I've found the best lather for me is from an LEA
soap stick, "con glicerina y lanolina." Et "Testado dermitologicamente."

As always, YMMV, or as Fallingwickets quoted: "De gustibus non est disputandum."

brothers

Post by brothers » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:17 pm

This one's just a few days of running out. It's been a great run. It passed the long-term fragrance test with flying colors. I swear it smells even better now with just a few grams left. Almost 2 months of constant use.
Gary

Brutus

Post by Brutus » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:18 am

brothers wrote:This one's just a few days of running out. It's been a great run. It passed the long-term fragrance test with flying colors. I swear it smells even better now with just a few grams left. Almost 2 months of constant use.

While I would not want to use any shaving soap or aftershave every day for a month or so, Tabac is fairly high up on my regular rotation list, as it works so well, and hardly a week passes when I don’t use it.

My wife describes the scent as “old fashioned”, but for me this scent may be part of the attraction, as I believe my father used Tabac aftershave in the early 60s, and the scent of his Tabac aftershave was part of my daily morning routine.
Sadly, I cannot ask my father anymore.

B.

BPman

Post by BPman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:26 pm

I have the soap and AS, but I find that the days between usage are further & further apart as the extremely powerful & lineal scent becomes overbearing. :(

Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:37 pm

I recently finished a small 30ml bottle of Tabac aftershave which I thoroughly enjoyed wearing. Quite "old fashioned" as described above, but very classic and suitable for most occasions I found.

Here in the UK it's not terribly easy to find - I actually bought my bottle from a hyper-market in Abu Dhabi of all places.

Gareth

Brutus

Post by Brutus » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:32 am

Gareth wrote:I recently finished a small 30ml bottle of Tabac aftershave which I thoroughly enjoyed wearing. Quite "old fashioned" as described above, but very classic and suitable for most occasions I found.

Here in the UK it's not terribly easy to find - I actually bought my bottle from a hyper-market in Abu Dhabi of all places.

Gareth
In Germany and Austria it’s quite easy to find, as most drugstore and department store chains seem to carry it, but there is also the German Amazon version (amazon.de) with several online shops that sell to anywhere within Europe.

Having found it in Abu Dhabi out of all places?
Interesting and chance find.
I never spotted it locally in my 32 years in the UAE and picked up Tabac aftershave in Europe, often in the 300ml “king size” version of the bottle.

B.

Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:29 pm

Brutus, yes I find it to be quite readily available in their Carrerfour hyper-markets.

Actually there is usually quite a nice selection of traditional shaving products - various shaving creams, soaps, DE blades etc.

Gareth

brothers

Post by brothers » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:06 pm

Today was the final (50th) shave in a row with the puck. Absolute perfect lather and performance from first to last.
Gary

stagger

Post by stagger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:42 pm

Tabac is still my favorite hard soap. Great fragrance and excellent performance. I have to admit that it is followed closely by the FAT tho.
Regards,
Mark -

Bill_K

Post by Bill_K » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:45 pm

Gareth wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:37 pm
I recently finished a small 30ml bottle of Tabac aftershave which I thoroughly enjoyed wearing. Quite "old fashioned" as described above, but very classic and suitable for most occasions I found.

Gareth
Gareth, just this past December I bought a puck of Tabac through amazon.ca; the vendor was Zu Store London.

I've been using it almost exclusively for the last month, and as others have noted, the nostalgic "old world" aroma is appealing. I believe my grandfather ("Opa") used both it and the after shave.

Bill

brothers

Post by brothers » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:30 pm

stagger wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:42 pm
Tabac is still my favorite hard soap. Great fragrance and excellent performance. I have to admit that it is followed closely by the FAT tho.
Hi Mark! Good to see you here. It's been a while. I agree completely!
(Almost completely --- the MWF has something about the scent that isn't my "cup of tea".)
Gary

stagger

Post by stagger » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:53 am

Thanks Gary! I don't stop in here as much as I used to. Gonna have to correct that.
Regards,
Mark -