MDC Rose and Vetyver

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Janus

MDC Rose and Vetyver

Post by Janus »

Just FYI. Limited edition now available.

https://savonnerie-martin-de-candre.com ... on-a-raser

Not cheap, but if you must...

EDIT. There's Citrus also (which I already have).
Janus
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: MDC Rose and Vetyver

Post by fallingwickets »

yes we must!! :D :D :D

clive

p.s. visa says thanks too
de gustibus non est disputandum
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Janus, does the MdC in citrus scent actually smell like citrus?

I'm wary of MdC scenting from my previous experience. I ordered the original MdC soap and found it to have a horribly offensive smell. When they offered an unscented version, I ordered it right away, but it smelled just like the original. It was not unscented by any stretch of the imagination.

So, I wonder if the citrus version carries over any of the original MdC scent or if it is truly citrus.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

- Murray
Janus

Post by Janus »

Murray, I don't get any of the original MdC scent, only a lemony scent, which is quite mild off the jar but much stronger lathered up. Still milder than the original. I like it. I also like the original MdC, so if there's anything similar in citrus, I may not be able to detect it, since i don't find the original offensive at all. I'm not much of a scentaholic, I'm afraid. There might be reviews on citrus on other forums, I should think. I got mine some time last summer, when they had a limited run. Now I have rose and vetiver on the way. They, too, have been offered before. Last christmas, if memory serves.
Janus
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks, Janus.

The original MdC scent is quite polarizing. People seem to love it or hate it. It's very good shaving soap, so if they have come up with other scents that have broader appeal, it may be worth looking into.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Murray, somewhere on the www is a shop that sells among others, mdc samples. Maybe buy a test slither before forking over $$$$ for a jar you might hate. Sorry i dont have the sellers web address to give you

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

fallingwickets wrote:Murray, somewhere on the www is a shop that sells among others, mdc samples. Maybe buy a test slither before forking over $$$$ for a jar you might hate. Sorry i dont have the sellers web address to give you

clive
I'll second Clive's suggestion. That's how I tried the original MdC. Unfortunately I don't recall where I got my sample from.

I agree it's a very good soap but I wouldn't buy a whole pot but it's nice to have a little bit of it around for use every now and then.

Chris
Janus

Post by Janus »

Here's one place for MdC samples. UK based but they ship worldwide:

http://shavedash.com/products/#!/Martin ... y=11579823

FWIW, I have also tried a few of their bath soaps and they all smelled more or less the same to me, probably due to a quite sharp underlying soap base scent. Not so with their shaving soaps, IMO. I don't know if this helps, but that has been my experience.
Janus
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

CMur12 wrote:...does the MdC in citrus scent actually smell like citrus?
Yes, it does.
Most definitely.
Citrus, but not lemon.

It bought mine in June 2017, the previous time Martin de Candre offered the vetiver and citrus limited editions, and like it very much during the warmer months.

As Martin de Candre soaps last a long time, I barely made a dent in it, won’t need to reorder anytime soon, and use in the colder time of the year more often the classic fougère or unscented versions anyway.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thank you, Janus and Brutus, for the feedback on the citrus version.

- Murray